Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Bathroom issues

Posted by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 4:57 PM
  • 10 Replies

About 2 weeks ago my son got locked in the bathroom at his school due to a faulty door (he's in kindergarten).  Because of that incident he has been afraid to go to the toilet alone so usually his friend from class goes with him.  Today it was discovered that instead of going into the second door where the toilet is he has been pooping in the urinal.  Today the friend who goes with him saw it and now my son is embarrassed and I can tell he is a little heartbroken.  I'm guessing that his friend laughed at him. I'm not sure how to help him overcome this fear since I am not at school with him.  I don't know what to do.  For now his teacher said she will go with him from now on, but I really want him to overcome this.  Any advice?

by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 4:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 5:14 PM

I think just work with him at home to show that home toilet is just like school toilet and there is nothing to be afraid of.  IF he has a buddy go with him he wont get stuck in there again.

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Feb. 22, 2013 at 7:24 PM

awww  :( thats so sad.  other than just keep on reassuing him that stalls are ok..i dunno..if by chance it does happen again, is he able to crawl under the door?? i remember having to do that when i was in school...lol...or what about if he just goes in, but doesnt lock it, that way it cant get stuck..

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Feb. 22, 2013 at 7:28 PM

I would take him to public restrooms as much as possible, standing outside the door to assure him he is fine. I hope he can get over this fear.

amberbamber0213
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 7:29 PM

i would be cussing out a principle for having a faulty door my child got locked in and causing him all this distress. thats BULLS***. and it just would not fly with me. what if he slipped and fell and busted his head and noone knew. what if some sex predator happened to get in their and the door was locked. what if he really got injured. someones a** would be mine. 

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 7:37 PM
He should have crawled under being in Kindergarten. Just take him to bathrooms as much as possible.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 7:38 PM

What kind of bathroom is it? Is it like a public bathroom or do they have their own bathrooms within the class room?  DD's school is set up that the kinders and 1st graders (do not know about 2nd grade) have their own bathroom so they do not wander the halls.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 7:38 PM
Wow, angry much? Sex predator in school? Things do accidently break.

Quoting amberbamber0213:

i would be cussing out a principle for having a faulty door my child got locked in and causing him all this distress. thats BULLS***. and it just would not fly with me. what if he slipped and fell and busted his head and noone knew. what if some sex predator happened to get in their and the door was locked. what if he really got injured. someones a** would be mine. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marshsmom
by Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:39 AM
Thanks for the responses ladies. To clarify, he was not stuck in a stall, the heavy wooden door was stuck, the actual door to the restroom where the stalls are. He had gone alone during class when it happened so no one was near enough to hear him pounding on the door and yelling/crying. His teacher felt he had been gone too long and went and found him locked in. She called maintenance and they got the door open. He was stuck for about 15 or 20 mins. I am not angry with the school and the door has been fixed. I just don't know how to help him feel better about what happened. Thanks again for responding. I don't let him use public restrooms alone since he is only 5. We live in New Orleans so it isn't safe at all to let a 5 year old in the restroom at the mall or where ever alone. I'm at a loss :(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Quoting Mommy2justone:

I would take him to public restrooms as much as possible, standing outside the door to assure him he is fine. I hope he can get over this fear.

MJP76
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Aww poor baby. I have no advice.. I'm sorry. That's got to be hard on him. :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)