Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teacher tells who to friend.

Posted by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 5:26 PM
  • 9 Replies

Should a teacher tell a child they should not be friends with someone?  My daughter is in a group of 5 friends.  Something occurred in school between one of the girls, we'll call her Suzy, and this teacher, where the teacher accused her of cheating on an assignment.  The teacher later spoke to my daughter and another friend from the group and told them they should not be Suzy's friend.  I feel a teacher's word is very powerful and I want to respect her, however, I don't feel it is the teacher's place to pick my daughter's friends.  Should I be worried this teacher may know something of this girl that is of concern?  My daughter feels that Suzy was not cheating and that it is a misunderstanding.

by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 5:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
AngelicMommy_72
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 5:31 PM
It's kinda sad for Suzy.... but it sounds like the teacher is looking out for your kid.
She can't pick your kids friends out for her but she can advise them to stay away from bad influences. and If your daughter is well behaved child who is doing fairly good I would think that you would want someone to look out for her that way... What grade are these kids and by the way?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
aurora.dove
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 5:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I would speak with the teacher and ask her why she told your daughter that. It isn't her place, however if she knows something that could get your daughter in trouble or hurt, she may just be trying to protect her and the other little girl. I would set up a meeting with the teacher.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 5:37 PM

I would definitely schedule an informal meetting and find out whole story.  I know some of our teachers will discourage children being together if it causes a disturbance or fighting between those children.

MooNFaeRie30
by Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 5:40 PM
1 mom liked this

i think i would call the teacher and ask her if there is something more. to me a teacher should not say things like that over something like cheating, especially if it may or maynot have happened, to another student. I would want to know if there is more going on with Suzy. After you talk to the teacher I would talk to your daughter.

OwlinMe
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 5:41 PM

6th grade.  Four girls have been close friends throughout Elementary school, Suzy was "the new girl" at the beginning of Middle School and these girls invited her in.  These girls are great students, honor roll grades and come from Christian back grounds.  After knowing Suzy for 5 months I would hope they would have been able to see a sign or two if she didn't fit in, maybe I'm wrong.

PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Woa!  A teacher actually told your daughter not to be this girl's friend? I'd be talking to the teacher about that.

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Feb. 22, 2013 at 6:30 PM

i would talk to the teacher about it as well, that doesnt seem right, there may be more to the story. 

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Feb. 22, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Hmm I would be speaking directly to the teacher to figure out the story. 

OwlinMe
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 6:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you all for your advice.  I will email the teacher and see if I can understand why she has this opinion.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured