Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

An older Mom's perspective

Posted by   + Show Post

It seems to me that today's children are throwing away their childhood with both hands. I'm hearing stories of 13 year-olds giving blow jobs on the school bus. I'm hearing about 14 year-olds who want to go on the pill. I loved my childhood...It was fun, a carefree time without a worry in the world. I even managed to graduate high school a virgin. I know this all sounds old fashioned to many of you. Do they realize what they are throwing away? Do they even realize they are doing it? In their quest to be an adult, don't they realize they will only be children ONCE. The fun time when the only care you had was to catch a jar of lightning bugs. Or build a snow fort with your siblings...or play jacks or marbles...it was a simpler time then, but our children are growing up too fast and I'm afraid they might regret it. To be an adult brings on tremendous pressure to obtain a good job, to buy or not to buy a house, to meet and marry the right partner...once they step into that world, do they realize there's no going back? Please, no bashing...I'm just worried about our little ones. Don't even get me started on the Jerry Sanduskys in the world.

by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:24 AM
Replies (11-17):
Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:24 AM

It is very sad about the children who are pressured to become adults. They aren't old enough to make wise decisions, and find themselves in adult situations too soon. 

lapcounter
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:25 AM
2 moms liked this
I agree, I prefer my 7 year old not have boyfriend and still play with babies and Barbies.

Quoting RheaF:

It is sad and sick. Kids today are pushed to grow up too fast, and then when they do people say "oh, what happened?!" It really worries me for my daughter, who is only 7 right now. She has been told by some parents that she acts like a "baby" because she still likes dolls, and has no desire to have a boyfriend. She is 7!!!! I cherish her, and the fact that she is still very much into "little girl" things. I refuse to push her to grow up simply because that is what the general society tells us we should do.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree.  However, back in the "days" there were teenage pregnancy, kids drinking, having sex, etc.  You just didn't hear about it because we didn't have the media like we do now.  Girls were also shipped off to "schools."

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 11:08 AM
It was not as much as now, and not as young. 50% or more are having sex before 18. Sad. Very sad. Middle schoolers and oral sex. Pathetic. No one has respect for themselves anymore. Just go bed hopping. Look at the rise in std's???

Quoting Mom2Just1:

I agree.  However, back in the "days" there were teenage pregnancy, kids drinking, having sex, etc.  You just didn't hear about it because we didn't have the media like we do now.  Girls were also shipped off to "schools."

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eoewan
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Each generation has said the same thing about their current kids and how they are growing up to fast.

It really is the parents responsibility. They are kids. If you parent right and build up kids self esteem then kids won't be looking for something else.

If parents let their 10 yr old date then they shouldn't be surprised at the consequences of that. If parents buy their children versions of adult clothing then they will have to deal with the consequences.

There was bad happening in every generation. We are just more aware of it now because of media, i.e. internet, tv, etc.

To say it is different now and to wish for simpler times and the innocence lost is naive. Back when most families were rural there was less going on for kids. Kids had adventures, explored, worked on the farms. But, society has changed to an urban environment which is much faster paced.

Bleacheddecay
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 11:31 AM

I didn't really have a childhood. I was the parent to my parents. I didn't feel safe or protected. I'd never want to be a child again like my co worker at church yesterday said. Being an adult means being free and no one can boss you around unless you let them. I like my freedom.

MJP76
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 12:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree, these kids are growing up too fast. Although, I do have to disagree slightly on the BC pill. There are many medical reasons to take the BC pill, I put my daughter on BC pill when she was 14. Not because she was sexually active, because she's not, but for medical reasons.

i very much intend on my children graduating virgins. My oldes DS did. One down, two to go..lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)