Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Enlarged tonsils - 4 yr.old

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:55 PM
  • 19 Replies

Hi! My son is 4 and he's had large tonsils since he was born, but this past few months they seem to have gotten really bigger and it started bothering his sleep at night because he couldn't breathe properly depending on his sleeping position. We will be seeing an ENT next week and his primary MD said he might need a tonsillectomy but I DON'T WANT IT!  Pls. help! Is there any way we can make his tonsils smaller without resorting to surgery? I am desperate. I not just started removing dairy in his diet as I read somewhere that this might help and my fingers are crossed really tightly. Thanks!

by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
daughteroftruth
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:58 PM

idk, in my side of the family, everyone has larger tonsils.  My dd did too, and she ended up with strep and we could nto get rid of it.  We tried several natural remedies, and then several rounds of antibiotics before we had them removed.. all I can say is that the surgery was quick, it took a few weeks for her to heal, but she has not had any issues since we had them removed and right now i am very glad we did it. 

Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 25, 2013 at 4:19 PM

My younger son was 4 when he had a similar problem. His was leading to frequent earaches. After the tonsilectomy he didn't have any more earaches. Talk with the doctor in case they know some alternative.

Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 25, 2013 at 4:21 PM

My son was up after surgery and playing. When my husband came to pick us up he even asked if he'd had the surgery, the recovery went so well.

paganmommy4
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 4:28 PM

My two year old just had her tonsils out.. 100% improvement. Tonsils will not go down back to normal size sorry. Its the best thing that could of happened to my daughter. She wasnt eating and she wasnt growing. No stiches involved and only two weeks of minimal discomfort. I do whats best for my kiddos.

Cafe Steph
Yesterday at 10:22 AM
Confession time: Who would YOU choose? - CafeMom

If you could sleep with one famous person, who would it be? (for the sake of discussion, you're both single)I think pret

by Head Admin on Feb. 26, 2013 at 8:15 AM
1 mom liked this

I know surgery sounds scary for your little ones, but a tonsillectomy isn't a big deal, truly. My daughter had her tonsils and adenoids removed when she was 4. She had pain the day of and the day after surgery but her meds took care of that. On the 3rd day, we had to keep reminding her to sit down and chill out since she wasn't supposed to be running around, but she felt fine and wanted to go play. After a week, she didn't even remember the surgery. They bounce back SO quickly when they're little, and the surgery really works quickly to make them feel MUCH better.

whoodathunk
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Remove milk, nuts, wheat and processed foods.  See if it helps.  If it does, add them back in one at a time until you see the issue.  If he was born with large tonsils, it may just be his anatomy.  Talk with the doctor and see if he can help with your concerns.

Roo1234
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:32 AM
I don't think there is any way to permanently shrink tonsils that are just large. If they were swollen due to an infection, there are things that can help, but tonsils that are just large can't be changed.

I had my older son's tonsils removed because of sleep apnea. He was healthy going into the surgery and bounced back very quickly. I never regretted it.
AngeLnChainZ
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:33 AM

My son having his tonsils and adenoids removed was the BEST thing I decided to do for him medically.. It's always better to do it while they're young, rather than wait until they're older.

marisab
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 11:36 AM

not sure my son offa nd on has similar and hes 5

DarlaHood
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 1:19 PM

When I was a kid, tonsilectomies were almost routine.  They took most of them out.  It's a quick surgery and kids recover amazingly quickly.  My brother had his out when he was about 6, and he barely slowed down.

They waited on mine, and I later had to have them removed at age 17.  It sucked!  The older you are, the longer it takes to recover.  If he's having problems with his tonsils it can affect his breathing, sleep, schoolwork (because of sleep issues), concentration, and the number of times he gets sick.  I personally would just have them removed early and be done with it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)