Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Help with Son's Hair!

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 5:32 PM
  • 14 Replies
My son is almost 20 months old n is a mixed baby. He is black and mexican. He has pretty long curly hair that tends to be unruly, wild, and can get tangled. I'm mexican so I have no idea what to use on his hair. I have heard Carol's Daughter is good but even then I wouldn't know which of their products to use. Please help me!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 5:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 5:36 PM

I would go to a salon and ask what is safe and "ok"for a toddlers hair.   I am presuming you use a pick or wide tooth comb, not a bristle brush.  Hair detangler may help as well   Are you trying to grow it out or will you be getting it cut soon?  I think a shorter hair cut will be better with a toddler boy than fighting to get all tangles out.

deadriansmommy
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 5:45 PM

I do use a wide tooth comb on him and a toddler detangler that I bought to try out. I don't feel that the detangler works as well as I would like it too and leaves his hair a little crunchy so I'm looking for alternatives. His father and I want to keep his hair especially since he won't let strangers near him.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 5:53 PM

His dad doesnt know how or what products to use for the tight curly hair?

http://www.ehow.com/how_5617800_comb-kinky-biracial-hair.html

http://www.ouidad.com/kids?sc=ppc_GS2_OUIPRO_KID&gclid=CPnyz7fG0rUCFSRxQgodikMAjQ    << childrens products.

deadriansmommy
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:36 PM

No his father keeps his hair cut into a fade and has never grown his hair. Thank you for the link.

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Feb. 26, 2013 at 2:18 AM
1 mom liked this

i would shave it! LOL  ok..i know thats not what you asked for..lol...i would take him to the salon, and ask for ideas!

whoodathunk
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 8:51 AM

And water based moisturizer and a wide tooth comb should help.  Don't brush his hair dryer or it'll likely break easily.  The product you use will depend on what result you're looking for.  

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Feb. 26, 2013 at 8:55 AM

I am not sure, but your Avi pic of him is ADORABLE! 

marisab
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 11:08 AM

BUMP!

kali_mom
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 11:37 AM
I have mixed hair and I use Curl Creme by Curls. It's great on my hair and my long curls. The key to mixed hair is moisture moisture moisture. You can spray it everyday very lightly with water and at night you can rub a small amount if coconut oil over his head to lock in the moisture as he sleeps. I would say use an amount the size of a dime and rub it between the hands until it melts then apply. You can PM me if you need other tips!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
June55
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 12:25 PM
My niece is of mixed heritage also. White/Black. At around 3 yrs of age my sister was at her wits end. She also had no idea of how to take care of her hair. Finally my sister got tired of being frustrated and became bold. She simply went to a hair dressing place that specialized in Black hair. Those ladies laughed their heads off when they saw Meagan's hair! They took pity on my sister and while they did Meagan's hair( my sister paid to have it done.)they taught her how to care for Meggies hair, answered all her questions, told her exactly what products to use and not to use. I suggest to do likewise. Knowledge is power. Good luck!!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)