Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Foster care

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:00 PM
  • 39 Replies

Does anyone know how to keep custody of your child but have them in foster care?

by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tyfry7496
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:04 PM
3 moms liked this
You can't. Once a child is in foster care, you lose custody until you do what's needed to get your kids back or your parental rights are terminated and your kids are a ward of the state/adopted.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
paganmommy4
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:10 PM

When a child is in foster care, they become wards of the court ( they have legal custody of your children) and its a super long process of earning the right to get your kids back.

Zazayam
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:14 PM

You can't, they become the state's custody, pretty much. Unless you mean something other then state foster care? Like sending them to live with their grandparents for a time or something?

Anniesmom1020
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:22 PM

My son is out of control and I have tried everything and don't know what to do with him anymore. His actions are affecting my other children.

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:28 PM

You can't.  

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Have you tried counseling for him?

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Anniesmom1020
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:31 PM

yes

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:34 PM

What is everything you have tried for the child?  What age is he?   There may be a group home type situation where the center becomes guardians of him but not sure.

Anniesmom1020
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Therapy, medication, time outs, talking to him, taking things away etc. He is 7

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 11:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh the fun age .  DD is about to be 7 and she does like to push boundaries.   You need to be consistent in whichever method you choose for consequences and do not stray from it.   The younger ones also need to see this so that they understand mommy is in charge.

I would talk further with his ped about thorough evaluation in case there may be underlying things that therapy did not uncover. If the misbehaviors are emotion based, you need to teach him how to better express himself and let those emotions out either on paper or hitting a pillow.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)