Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

My son isn't interested in his grandparents

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 12:53 AM
  • 13 Replies

My son Preston doesn't connect to my parents at all. He hardly talks to them when they visit or he stays with them and he gets angry if they try to hold him or even hug him.

I was especially hoping my father could be like a dad figure to him but he doesn't really care about them, he even seems scared of them. 

Is this normal and does anyone else have the same problem?

by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 12:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luvemboth
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 12:57 AM
How often does he see them? How are your parents towards him?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 12:58 AM

How old is preston?  That will make a big difference in how i can give advice.  Do they call or send letters when they are not around?  My dd isnt really connected to my mom that much but it is due to distance and my moms lack of making those connectons via snail mail or phone calls.  She will send an email directly to dd maybe every 2-3 months.    My dad on other hand called weekly at least once, sends random cards and packages.

strangeyfine
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 1:00 AM

That is really hard and understandably upsetting. How old is your son? Is he shy around people other than his immediate family and just hasn't spent much time with them? Or if he is older, is there something that happened between them to make him feel this way?

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Feb. 26, 2013 at 1:52 AM

how old is he?? is he like that with everyone?

NearSeattleMom
by Gold Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 4:05 AM

My kids don't see their grandparents very often, so they aren't close.  It's sad, but that's just the way things go when you don't live nearby.

-PB
by Gold Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 8:00 AM

My dd (3 1/2 yrs old) doesn't care for my mom, dad, or fil.  She likes my mil, my sister, and my sil.  I think its kinda depends on how often he sees them, how much time he spends with them, and how old he is.  Probably normal though.

AleaKat
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 8:01 AM
My little one is kind of the same way but he hardly ever sees them
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 26, 2013 at 8:33 AM

This is my situation, my grandchildren are great and I miss them so much, but they hardly know me since they live farther away than an easy visit would allow.

Quoting NearSeattleMom:

My kids don't see their grandparents very often, so they aren't close.  It's sad, but that's just the way things go when you don't live nearby.

hsrudy
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 11:40 AM
1 mom liked this

This definately must be hard on you, as you really want your son to have a loving relationship with your parents.  I would definately say that you don't want to "push" your son to have a relationship with his grandparents.  Sometimes it takes a bit more time for children to warm up to certain adults, even if they are part of the family.

What you could try to do is instead of leaving Preston with your parents, is come up with an activity that can involve all four of you so that your son can see how you interact with your mom & dad.  He might be scared of them now, but if he saw how you interact with your parents, you could encourage him to warm up to them by playing a game, or show him how grandpa paints a picture, watch grandma bake some cookies, etc.  Once he sees that you trust Grandma & Grandpa he will definately feed on that & hopefully want to try that on his own.  Good luck & have plenty of patience.  Keep trying, everything will work out!

~Some men are born great. Others have greatness thrust upon them. --Teddy Roosevelt

spunky946
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 11:42 AM

How old is he?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN