Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Neighbor won't let son come over to play with mine

Posted by   + Show Post

Because hubby smokes (outside only) my neighbor saw for the first time and now she won't let my sons class mate play at our house. She did before. They live right beside us so its really weird running into them all the time. You can totally tell she is being standoffish all of a sudden. 

by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 1:30 PM
Replies (21-30):
MJP76
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 2:09 PM
1 mom liked this

This. Smoking is harmful to everyone around them, not just the smoker. Smoking outside helps, but it's still on his clothes and in his hair when he enters the house...

Quoting xoch86:

Some people don't like their kids around that... It is what it is..

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Feb. 26, 2013 at 2:11 PM
1 mom liked this

That is why I choose to send food with my child if she goes over someone's home. They shouldn't be expected to feed my child anyway. And we don't eat anything but real food, I know my food. I know what EXACTLY is going into my body and my child's body every day.

And they are breathing in what, exactly, that could cause cancer or respiratory issues outside?
Exhaust from the cars? I could see that if I lived next to a highway. Pollution? Maybe if I lived California where their cities top the charts of the most polluted in the USA.

But the chances are much higher if I let my child be exposed, KNOWINGLY, to cigarette smoke.
I don't understand your logic.
If your child was asked to go on a play date with a mom who lets her children run wild and doesn't watch them knowing your child would be treated the same, wouldn't you have some concern?
Well she KNOWS that the father smokes, so why would she want her children exposed to something like that? 

Quoting cjsmom1:

Sugar filled snacks can cause diabetes, some foods cause high cholesterol, exhaust from cars and lots of pollution can cause breathing problems, certain ingredients in foods are believed to cause cancer. Every time your child leaves the house they are breathing in something that can cause breathing problems.

Quoting Mommy2justone:

Like what? What could my child be doing over someone else's house that is equivalent to something that could cause cancer or respiratory issues?

Quoting cjsmom1:

I find it ridiculous. If he does it outside the house and it's not around the kids then there's no reason for her to not let the kids over. I understand smoking isn't healthy but a lot of things aren't.

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 2:13 PM
Actually it wasn't but good job trying to belittle my statement. Ignorance at it's finest :)

Quoting stepconfused182:

Oh this is one of those "you could walk outside and get hit by a bus tomorrow" statements that tries to diminish "I don't want my kids around cancer causing substances". No need to try to get any logical explanation! :)

Quoting Mommy2justone:

Like what? What could my child be doing over someone else's house that is equivalent to something that could cause cancer or respiratory issues?

Quoting cjsmom1:

I find it ridiculous. If he does it outside the house and it's not around the kids then there's no reason for her to not let the kids over. I understand smoking isn't healthy but a lot of things aren't.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jackiewal10
by Gold Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 2:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I'll jump on the "I agree with your neighbor" bandwagon.  I wouldn't want my kids there either. 

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Feb. 26, 2013 at 2:14 PM
2 moms liked this

Sugar filled snacks do not cause diabetes. Do you smoke? Are you honestly comparing the severity of allowing your child around a known carcinogen to walking outside the house and breathing in the air? Come on. It's your job as a parent to teach your child about healthy eating and how to avoid unhealthy situations. However, ignoring the dangers of third hand smoke is not doing your children any favors.

Quoting cjsmom1:

Sugar filled snacks can cause diabetes, some foods cause high cholesterol, exhaust from cars and lots of pollution can cause breathing problems, certain ingredients in foods are believed to cause cancer. Every time your child leaves the house they are breathing in something that can cause breathing problems.

Quoting Mommy2justone:

Quoting cjsmom1:

MJP76
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 2:15 PM

I agree 100%

Quoting Mommy2justone:

That is why I choose to send food with my child if she goes over someone's home. They shouldn't be expected to feed my child anyway. And we don't eat anything but real food, I know my food. I know what EXACTLY is going into my body and my child's body every day.

And they are breathing in what, exactly, that could cause cancer or respiratory issues outside?
Exhaust from the cars? I could see that if I lived next to a highway. Pollution? Maybe if I lived California where their cities top the charts of the most polluted in the USA.

But the chances are much higher if I let my child be exposed, KNOWINGLY, to cigarette smoke.
I don't understand your logic.
If your child was asked to go on a play date with a mom who lets her children run wild and doesn't watch them knowing your child would be treated the same, wouldn't you have some concern?
Well she KNOWS that the father smokes, so why would she want her children exposed to something like that? 

Quoting cjsmom1:

Quoting Mommy2justone:

Quoting cjsmom1:

Megan11587
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 2:15 PM
I think that's stupid. I would get it if he smoked in the house.
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Feb. 26, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Don't worry, your next statement definitely gave mine even more credibility! :)

Quoting cjsmom1:

Actually it wasn't but good job trying to belittle my statement. Ignorance at it's finest :)

Quoting stepconfused182:

Oh this is one of those "you could walk outside and get hit by a bus tomorrow" statements that tries to diminish "I don't want my kids around cancer causing substances". No need to try to get any logical explanation! :)

Quoting Mommy2justone:

Quoting cjsmom1:

Camsmom101007
by Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Now isn't this funny....all the ones judging on here are the ones that agree with my judgey neighbor?! We lived here for I've half of year before she even saw him smoking outside. I see her and her husband thru there large crackled bathroom window, over the garden tub, passing something with a cherry back and forth, then throwing it in the toilet, all the time at night, and I don't think it's a cigarette.

Quoting cjsmom1:

Quoting Mommy2justone:

Quoting cjsmom1:

Paigesmommy78
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 2:16 PM
This

Quoting cjsmom1:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured