Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can I get my 18 month old to take medicine?

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 2:31 PM
  • 6 Replies

She use to take it so good but not anymore. She has a fever right now and I cannot get her to take it. I have tried everything, even putting it in her juice. Suggestions??????

by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 2:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mmccrea
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Is it liquid or what?  Pills I crushed into sorbet.  For liquid, if necessary, I would hold open their mouth and pour it down the far back of their throat, and hold their mouth closed for a few seconds to make sure they swallow.  

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Feb. 26, 2013 at 2:38 PM

If her fever isn't high, I would forgo the meds. They actually help fight whatever is going on in her body and treating the fever instead of the symptoms can counteract the bodies natural immunity responses. 
I would try a cool cloth on the back of her neck, maybe a lukewarm bath with some toys.
Good luck, I hope she feels better soon. 

saysmom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 2:38 PM

She's only 18 months, liquids

Quoting mmccrea:

Is it liquid or what?  Pills I crushed into sorbet.  For liquid, if necessary, I would hold open their mouth and pour it down the far back of their throat, and hold their mouth closed for a few seconds to make sure they swallow.  

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Feb. 26, 2013 at 2:46 PM

I'm assuming you've tried a dropper, cup and spoon? Have you tried mixing it with some yogurt or icecream? (assuming she likes those :) What's her temp? 

Megan11587
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 2:47 PM
Try giving her a cup of pudding or something similar and hiding it in there.
Mommynwife26
by Brianna on Feb. 26, 2013 at 2:50 PM
Take a dropper, hold open her mouth put it as far bacl as you can without choking her and squirt it gently then hold gently blow in her face which will make a reaction to swollow. My oldest dd had super high temps and nacl to back ear infections from 16mths till past 2. I had to do it almost everytime to get her to take meds. It doesn't sound nice and it seems harsh but it works. And it hurts you more than her.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured