Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Several questions on baby! :)

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 3:41 PM
  • 13 Replies

When should I start scheduling my baby's day? He's almost 16 weeks. I kind of have a bed time of 9:30 but sometimes he just does not want to sleep and he gets pissed if I put him down then.

He cries a lot! Usually after he eat he cries to be picked back up by arching his back and screaming. He always seems like he gets so bored. I'd like him to be able to entertain himself for a bit. Every time I put him down he screams until I pick him back up and then sometimes still cries. I am starting to think he may have reflux or something. Doc said he didn't at his 2 month appt, but can they develop it suddenly? Are there any homeopathic remedies for this? He doesn't spit up too much.

When did you start your baby on solids? He is so interested in food and gets mad when you eat in front of him. I was told it is best to wait at least until they can sit up on their own. I will start on avocado and sweet potatoe when the time comes, def not rice cereal. Today I let him "taste" my apple (because he was about to lose it trying to take it from my hands and push it in his mouth) he loved it!!! I'm very confused on this.

Thanks!!

EDIT: So baby is still not eating very well and is very interested in food. He will eat 3 or so ounces and then push the bottle away. He has been doing this for a couple of weeks and I was think it was the nipple but now I'm not sure. I changed nipples and he continues to do it. He is formula fed with the WAP homemade RMF. He fights to be fed more at that feeding will be hungry an hour or so later and do the same thing. What I'm reading is that they are hungry if they continue to do that for a few weeks but also not to give them solids until 6 months!

I wish a guide book would have come out of my vagina after him!!

by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 3:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Megan11587
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 3:45 PM

I never really had a set schedule for my baby. He's about 12 months now. He goes to bed when he's tired. If you try to force him to sleep, he fights it, then he's up all night. A lot of people disagree with me, but it has worked for us.

My son went through a phase where he wouldn't let you put him down without screaming.  He'll grow out of it.  For now, I'd get a sling and let him be with you.

I started solids at 4 months as well. Just make sure you don't give anything that could be a choking hazard

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Babycenter.com has alot of good advice covering these topics.  I started dd about 4 months old since we were out of town and she wanted to try peoples food.  We did rice cereal mixed with breast milk as well for when grandma wanted to feed her.  Green beans were a big hit.

Marimaru
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 3:55 PM

I don't do any scheduling until 6 months or so, when I start kind of having a bedtime (which is putting baby in her bed when she falls asleep after 8pm and starting enforcing 'night time' stuff.  She's been joining us for story time with my oldest some too.  In a couple more months (when she's 9 months old) I'll start an actual bedtime routine for her.

I don't start solids until 6 months, no real tastes of stuff either up until that point (my husband would do a few tastes from the tip of his finger, but that's it).  They need to be able to sit up unsupported, and the reflex that babies have to stick their tongue out when you touch their bottom lip needs to have backed off, and they need to be working on grasping things with their hands.

mrskathleen
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 3:56 PM

BACK IN THE DAY DOCTOR STARTED  BABY OFF WITH CEREAL AND A BIT OF MILK ! THEN LATER FRUIT  AND THEN VEGTABLES  HE SOUNDS HUNGRY!  DOES HE HAVE SOFT TOYS  RADDLES  OT  TRY POTS  W/ A SPOON TO BANG WITH HAVE U GOT A SWING ? BABY NEEDS TOYS TOO  !

mcarsel89
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 4:03 PM

WHY ARE YOU SCREAMING????

He has two of everything. Swings, bouncers, jump n jive, toys galore. He doesn't like to be anywhere where I am not in sight and directly looking at him.

Quoting mrskathleen:

BACK IN THE DAY DOCTOR STARTED  BABY OFF WITH CEREAL AND A BIT OF MILK ! THEN LATER FRUIT  AND THEN VEGTABLES  HE SOUNDS HUNGRY!  DOES HE HAVE SOFT TOYS  RADDLES  OT  TRY POTS  W/ A SPOON TO BANG WITH HAVE U GOT A SWING ? BABY NEEDS TOYS TOO  !

mcarsel89
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 4:07 PM

I have a Kitan and a moby. I love the kitan, but it's super hard for me to get anything done in it. I have really short arms and I am usually squishing him up against things to be able to reach them.

Quoting Megan11587:

I never really had a set schedule for my baby. He's about 12 months now. He goes to bed when he's tired. If you try to force him to sleep, he fights it, then he's up all night. A lot of people disagree with me, but it has worked for us.

My son went through a phase where he wouldn't let you put him down without screaming.  He'll grow out of it.  For now, I'd get a sling and let him be with you.

I started solids at 4 months as well. Just make sure you don't give anything that could be a choking hazard

mrskathleen
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Are u happy with doctor? do u have faith in him?

maybe somethings wrong with  Baby ? Try taking him for a ride that makes him sleepy ..could be a question of being spoiled YOU  know how we love our Babys1

I DONT LIKE THE IDEA OF LETTING BABY CRY AND I AM ALL OUT OF IDEAS!  IN  A FEW MONTHS HE WILL BE BIGGER AND WILL BE ABLE TO PLAY WITH HIS TOYS..

MEAN WHILE KEEP CHECKING WITH THE DOCTOR  !!

Zazayam
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 4:24 PM

I never really set a schedule for my babies. Is he breast or formula fed? He might have gas problems if he's extra screamy.

Megan11587
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 4:25 PM
Try a baby back pack

Quoting mcarsel89:

I have a Kitan and a moby. I love the kitan, but it's super hard for me to get anything done in it. I have really short arms and I am usually squishing him up against things to be able to reach them.

Quoting Megan11587:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Feb. 26, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Scheduling- I would let him set the schedule, and just stick to that for a while. You can adjust it to what works with your family gradually. 

Feeding fussiness- Try walking around with him after he nurses/feeds. He is only 16 weeks so he shouldn't be having solids yet. 
If he is on formula you might want to think about switching.
Also baby wearing helps fussiness a lot, get a wrap or sling to carry him in around the house.

I started my daughter at about 6 months, she didn't really start with baby foods though, more of chunks of this and chunks of that. Stuff she could feed her self. Like avacado or banana chuncks.
Just remember solids before 1 are just for practice.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)