Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Toddler 911

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 4:29 PM
  • 35 Replies
1 mom liked this

So I am on my first kid and we have hit terrible twos and I am really lost to what to do about my son. He wont listen to anything I say, wont nap, hits, bites, kicks and yells at us. but when his grandma is around he is almost an angel. I have tried timeouts talking raising my voice and nothing works. Someone please help I dont know how much more I can handle of this.

by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 4:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Feb. 26, 2013 at 4:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I would try something and stick with it. 
Like time out for 2 minutes if he bites, kicks, yells, etc. Don't say anything just sit him there. You have to do this for about a month before they start getting it.
Good luck 

0412Logan
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Thanks I will try it and hopefully have some progress

piwife
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 4:40 PM
Oh terrible.. 2 . Those look awesome compare to 3 and 5.. lol. I have 3 kids. At that age. Lots of riderection, time outs, taking away stuff, also time in work. But just a warning it gets worse... so be ready
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
0412Logan
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 4:41 PM

He is in a timeout right now screaming like i am killing him

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Feb. 26, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Don't acknowledge him till his time out is finished. If he gets up, put him right back in time out. Do not say a word to him. 
If he screams, don't look at him.
He has to sit there for 2 minutes.

Also start a sticker chart.
Just a blank poster board and stickers will do. If he is good all day he gets to put a sticker on the board. After a certain number of stickers in a row he gets a reward.  

Quoting 0412Logan:

Zazayam
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 4:48 PM
2 moms liked this

Gonna get bashed, but my kids got bit back when they started trying to bite people. They never did it again.

Time outs, taking stuff away, talk to him, whatever you do stick with it. If you put him in timeout make sure he knows and understands WHY he's there, and don't let him move until it's over. Consistency is the key, and make sure you reward good behavior as quickly as you punish the bad.

0412Logan
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 4:49 PM

He wont be two till April do you think a sticker chart will work at his age?

Quoting Mommy2justone:

Don't acknowledge him till his time out is finished. If he gets up, put him right back in time out. Do not say a word to him. 
If he screams, don't look at him.
He has to sit there for 2 minutes.

Also start a sticker chart.
Just a blank poster board and stickers will do. If he is good all day he gets to put a sticker on the board. After a certain number of stickers in a row he gets a reward.  

Quoting 0412Logan:

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 4:51 PM

What does Grandma do differently? Do you have firm rules and a routine so he feels safe? You need to be very consistant with the time-outs, give him only 1 warning.

0412Logan
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Then they need to bash me too because I tried the same thing but when it didnt work I stopped. He still bites after all that. I think time outs are what I am going to do because he hates being still

Quoting Zazayam:

Gonna get bashed, but my kids got bit back when they started trying to bite people. They never did it again.

Time outs, taking stuff away, talk to him, whatever you do stick with it. If you put him in timeout make sure he knows and understands WHY he's there, and don't let him move until it's over. Consistency is the key, and make sure you reward good behavior as quickly as you punish the bad.

0412Logan
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 4:54 PM

she lets him do whatever. and when i put him in timeout she takes him out and babies him

Quoting Lindalou907:

What does Grandma do differently? Do you have firm rules and a routine so he feels safe? You need to be very consistant with the time-outs, give him only 1 warning.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN