Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

swaddling?.... when do u stop

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:01 PM
  • 27 Replies

When did you/ will you stop swaddling you baby?

my son is 7 months and its starting to get really difficult to wrap him up. Suggestions to transition him to not being swaddled?...

by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:05 PM

I gradually loosened it till it was just laying open under her. I think I stopped at like 4 months though. 

AmiJanell
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:07 PM

We stopped when they didn't like it anymore... my son was 6 months... my daughter was 5 1/2 months.  If your son is ready to be done with it... then just stop and see what happens.

lorial58
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:10 PM
1 mom liked this

The kid will let you know when it's time to stop.  

bayliesmommy
by Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:11 PM
Uh... Like a week.... She liked to be free and kick around.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:16 PM
I stopped at maybe a month.or 6 weeks. I can't imagine doing it for months. I did not want them getting used to it. I had good sleepers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KLove_Mom
by Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:16 PM

With my twins I stopped at about a month old, but they probably would have slept better if I had kept it up.

My next daughter was swaddled until she started crawling at 8 months. We tried for a couple weeks at 6 months old to not swaddle her, and she went from sleeping 12 hours straight to waking 3-4 times. Not worth it.

Try the double swaddle method... cut up old sheets to make the blankets big enough. Here's an example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOnsKlluHIg 

zanderNerynMOM
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:17 PM

My kids always hated it so I never really did it after they were about 2 months.

MommyT642
by Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Quoting KLove_Mom:

With my twins I stopped at about a month old, but they probably would have slept better if I had kept it up.

My next daughter was swaddled until she started crawling at 8 months. We tried for a couple weeks at 6 months old to not swaddle her, and she went from sleeping 12 hours straight to waking 3-4 times. Not worth it.

Try the double swaddle method... cut up old sheets to make the blankets big enough. Here's an example:

MommyT642
by Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Quoting KLove_Mom:

Yeah i tried to stop but he went from sleeping 6-8 hrs straight to  3-4 hrs straight. Even naps, if he isn't wrapped he doesn't sleep more than 30- 45 min, wrapped up the nap could be anywhere btwn 1-3 hrs.

jhslove
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:25 PM

We stopped swaddling, as a gradual process, between 3 and 4 months. By the time she turned 4 months old she wasn't swaddled at all--that's when she started sucking her thumb and self-weaned from her paci, too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured