Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Are your children influenced by ads?

Posted by   + Show Post

I know that as a child I wanted what I saw advertized on tv, My children didn't watch commercial tv until they were older. What about your children?

by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 8:15 AM
Replies (21-30):
LizzieAnnesMom
by Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 2:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Suhe will say she wants something, but she forgets about it later. She never actually begs or throws fits. There have only been a couple things she really really wanted and asked for multiple times. I was able to get it at walmart so we did.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tiredmama42
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Lol  I think those are so boring and he with a hour watching about a silly stuff like a mop.  At least there is no violence or bad words in them..only clean programs left on TV.

Quoting Bmat:

This is hilarious! Perhaps he'll go into the advertising field.

Quoting tiredmama42:

My son started watching commericial tv last June.  Hes 11. He is memorized with infomercials..lol   Always telling me what I need and since there is always 2 I can give one as a gift..lol   Its funny.  Told him to watch cartoons like other kids.

Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 28, 2013 at 2:31 PM

We tried to get this across also.

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Of course.  i use it as a teaching moment about how comericals usually are not true or at least make things look way better than they are.  By the time my boys were 8 or 9 they were very savy about ads.

Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 28, 2013 at 2:32 PM
1 mom liked this

sidesplittinglaughter

Quoting tiredmama42:

Lol  I think those are so boring and he with a hour watching about a silly stuff like a mop.  At least there is no violence or bad words in them..only clean programs left on TV.

Quoting Bmat:

This is hilarious! Perhaps he'll go into the advertising field.

Quoting tiredmama42:

My son started watching commericial tv last June.  Hes 11. He is memorized with infomercials..lol   Always telling me what I need and since there is always 2 I can give one as a gift..lol   Its funny.  Told him to watch cartoons like other kids.

UpSheRises
by Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Studies show that children under 6 don't always even know the difference between the content of a show and the advertisements.

Don't forget, ads arent' just on TV, they are everywhere you look. I think the average person see/hears as many as 5000 ads each day. They influence all of us, constantly.

Jamie1972
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:37 PM
Omg when we gad tv Christmas time was the worst. Every toy,video game commercial all i heard was i want that. Thankfully f poo r hulu and Netflix i dont hear it anymore.
Roo1234
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 8:44 PM
yes and no. when they were little they would get excited about everything. I used it as an opportunity to talk about advertising and hire to be a discerning consumer. Now that they are older, they make much better choices because they realize what role advertising has in the marketplace and they have to decide if the product matches the needs and goals that they have at the time.
-PB
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Before the last election my dd kept repeating "I'm Barack Obama and I approve this message." 

CampClan
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Oh heck yeah! My 3yo wants a pair of Stompez so bad he cried when I told him the smallest pair CVS had was still too bug for him & I refuse to buy them if he can't wear them!

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:26 PM

she is a little bit...but not to bad.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)