Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Sleeping aid? Do you use one?

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:25 PM
  • 43 Replies

I have tried Zzzzquil caplets. Took 1 at 1st because the package does not say anything about how much sleep you need to make sure you have. Well that didn't work. So I took both the next night. Nope- didn't help me fall asleep. Well, okay- so it didn't help me FALL asleep, but once I finally did & when I got up I felt like I had a good night's sleep. So I tried another type- the Walgreen generic liquid form. Took it at 9pm. It's now 10:30pm & I am still wide awake!!! I don't get it! Normally if I take regular Nyquil I can feel my body falling asleep within 30 minutes. Right now I don't feel a darn thing!

Suggestions?  

by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
summer11baby
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:28 PM
2 moms liked this
Z-quil has the same active ingredient as benedryl. Some people get sleepy when they take benedryl, some it has the opposite effect. Over the counter sleep meds do nothing for me too. I had to tell my doctor how much trouble I was having sleeping and he gave me ambien. It works like a charm for me! And I'm on a low dose. :) maybe talk to your doc.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
1squishysmom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I was completely addicted to Nyquil for years. I had to break my habit, but it was hard. I now take Tylenol PM (I have arthritis in my knees, and it helps) and ZZquil liquid. For some reason, the caplets don't work as well. Sometimes it takes a while for me to fall asleep, but I sleep better.

aurora.dove
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:31 PM
2 moms liked this

Try using melatonin gummies or liquid. They sell it at walmart in the pharmacy section, as well as at other drug stores.

CampClan
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:31 PM

It's not really that I have trouble sleeping I just don't feel as if I have had a good night's sleep if you know what I mean. I would wake up feeling like I needed to stay in bed longer. After taking the Z-quil when I woke up I felt great. Just couldn't fall asleep. But I will be sure to bring this up with my doc.

Quoting summer11baby:

Z-quil has the same active ingredient as benedryl. Some people get sleepy when they take benedryl, some it has the opposite effect. Over the counter sleep meds do nothing for me too. I had to tell my doctor how much trouble I was having sleeping and he gave me ambien. It works like a charm for me! And I'm on a low dose. :) maybe talk to your doc.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:31 PM
No, never
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
summer11baby
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:33 PM
I had no trouble sleeping but it took me so long to fall asleep. It wouldn't hurt to ask though! :)

Quoting CampClan:

It's not really that I have trouble sleeping I just don't feel as if I have had a good night's sleep if you know what I mean. I would wake up feeling like I needed to stay in bed longer. After taking the Z-quil when I woke up I felt great. Just couldn't fall asleep. But I will be sure to bring this up with my doc.

Quoting summer11baby:

steffielou_who
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:33 PM
I used to take melatonin but haven't in a while! I should probably start again!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wildhorses420
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Two Benydryl and a glass of wine. Each alone does nothing. Together, works like a charm. Otherwise you could try an rx like ambien...but holy hell...if you do that you better take it when you are in your bed and not going to get up again for the night at all. If you take it and continue to be up and about, you will do and say things you won't remember and that you normally would never do. I took one recently, was eating a bag of chips in bed and woke up literally with chips EVERYWHERE! I was sleeping in chips!!! My daughter later told me about a conversation we had and I can't recall even speaking with her at all after I took it. It works, just take it and lay right down to go to sleep LOL!

MommyChance
by Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:35 PM
Nope. Do you have a good mattress, pillows? I finally splurged on a good mattress and I sleep so much better now!
SandyLaxner
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Melatonin,Unisom,Sleepytime Tea.

Do you snore?  Do you have a short neck?  You may have obstructive sleep apnea.  check w/your Dr,get a sleep study.  You wake up tired bc you may be waking many nights gasping for air and don't know it.  I stopped breathing 6x per minute during my sleep study.  I never knew I snored!  Now i wear a CPAP mask to sleep,and feel better.  Sleep apnea can cause obesity,high blood pressure,diabetes.  Everyone w/sleep/tired problems should have a physical.  I was very tired when my blood sugar was high,no matter how much sleep I got.  Depression can make sleep difficult too. Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)