Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

My 7 yo is afraid to fly

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:50 PM
  • 10 Replies

My 7 year old son, Sam, is very afraid to fly.  He has flown once before, when he was 3, to Florida.  For him, it was a terrible experience.  I think between his ears popping (even though we had him chewing something to help with that) and his stomach flipping at take off - he has developed a fear of flying.  On the flight out he was fine.  On the way back, however, he didn't even want to get on the plane.  We talk from time to time about going to different places and having to take an airplane to get there.  He refuses to talk about it and bursts into tears.  My husband won a trip to Florida this summer and we want to take our boys with us but Sam doesn't want to fly.  I really want to help him to overcome his fears.

Has anybody had experience with this?  Any suggestions?  We really don't want to drive or take a train and we really want to include our boys on this trip (and future trips for that matter!)

by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:55 PM
1 mom liked this
My dd's ears hurt every flight. She had no choice but to fly. She is 21 and her ears still hurt. We fly all the time. Sudafed helps her .
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amonkeymom
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 3:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Maybe you can have him talk to a counselor at school (or his pediatrician) about his fear and see if they can't give him some coping ideas to help with the anxiety.

CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 3:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Maybe you can talk to your pediatrician to find a way to help him out.  I know my cousin's youngest was like that and they ended up giving her a Dramamine to fly to help calm her down.

iHEAVENn
by Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 3:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Maybe ask his pedi if there is something he can take to help him relax?

My mother has to be HEAVILY medicated in order to fly. Talking, to the point where she is barely awake :\ 

FlyingMommy747
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 4:07 PM
2 moms liked this

Do you have a flight museum or anything like that near your home.  Perhaps learning about airplanes might make him excited to try it again.  I would also consult with your pediatrician also.

You also might want to consider a red eye flight.  That way he could sleep through it, maybe give him some benedryl or something like that.  Again I would defer to your pediatrician.

My DD is 4, and her ears always pop when we fly, but I did teach her how to chew gum, and to pop her ears and that has helped.  We fly a few times a year with her, so eventhough she does not particularily like flying, she likes the destination and she knows to see her grandparents she needs to get on an airplane (6 hr flight).

Marimaru
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 4:13 PM

He may not get over it.  I have a guy I work with who doesn't fly unless he absolutely has to.  He will use PTO days to drive from California to Oregon for a meeting when we have one at the Oregon office, even if he's only there a day.  His mom is the same way, and she lives in New Jersey, so they don't see eachother much.

SnyderMom718
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:38 AM
Thanks, ladies. We are definitely planning to speak with our pediatrician. I love the idea of teaching him more about airplanes! I will also check with our school counselor. She is fantastic & I know she would be willing to help.

It's hard to deal with the ear popping...even as adults.

I'll keep you all posted. Thanks again!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
megan71108
by Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:44 AM
I dont but I'm sitting at the airport right now waiting to board lol
thatgirl70
by Carin on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:30 AM
1 mom liked this

I think maybe talking to a counselor might help. I can't say I've dealt with it, we haven't had the occasion to fly though we will be next year (if our plans don't change between now and then). 

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Mar. 3, 2013 at 2:58 AM
Hmm. I'm surprised he remembers being 3.

Benadryl, and something to suck on I think. :)

And lots of talking it up prior, how fun and all that. Gl!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)