Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

When is a good age to stop the sippy cup?

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:18 PM
  • 15 Replies

what is a good age to stop the sippy cup and start will a normal cup?My daughter is 17 months old. she has a sippy cup since 7 months. She can drink out of a normal cup, but there cant be a lot In it because it becomes a mess. we know she should be put to bed will water, but lately it has been milk. plz no bash, everyone parents in there own way. my thing is there are different stages of sippy cups, she hates the one with straw, and she hates i think it is the last stage but im not to sure. we bought one last month she she as having problems with so my husband triedto drink out of it, to see if there was something wrong with it. and he said you really really have to suck on it. she we don'tthink she cant do it. do you have these problems

by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wildhorses420
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:22 PM

More moms do that than are willing to admit. Just be sure to keep her teeth clean. It's not a big deal, keep the sippy cup. It'll be awhile before she reaches an age where she won't dump it everywhere

mommylizTB2809
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:39 PM

I try to keep her teeth clean lets say that. is that a good thing that admit?

Quoting wildhorses420:

More moms do that than are willing to admit. Just be sure to keep her teeth clean. It's not a big deal, keep the sippy cup. It'll be awhile before she reaches an age where she won't dump it everywhere

AussieReg
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:52 PM

I can't remember because it has been a really long time but I think when she can drink from a cup half full without spilling it then she is ready but I think it was well into their 2nd year or maybe the third. I dont want to bash about the milk I am just worried for her little teeth thats all because milk has alot of sugar.

CatFishMom
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:01 PM

The more you give regular cups, the better she'll get with them. My son is nineteen months and ninety-eight percent of the time he uses an open cup with near perfect success-he has as many spills or mishaps as my four year old. He only gets cups with straws when I give him something to take out of the kitchen which isnt often. He quit on sippy cups a long time ago because he saw his big brother drinking from a regular cup and wasnt going to let us tell him he wasnt big enough to do it, too. It's simply practice makes perfect.

celticgodess
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:24 PM

My almost 4 yo still uses sippy cups because she takes water to bed.  I have never given her anything but water in bed and she drinks out of a big cup just fine at school and most of the time with us during the day. She'll get it eventully

mommylizTB2809
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Thank you, but you don't have to worry about her i try to brush them as much as possible. She goes to the dentist.

Quoting AussieReg:

I can't remember because it has been a really long time but I think when she can drink from a cup half full without spilling it then she is ready but I think it was well into their 2nd year or maybe the third. I dont want to bash about the milk I am just worried for her little teeth thats all because milk has alot of sugar.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:08 AM
1 mom liked this

I will let you know when i stop using them for myself.  I am in my 30s and use spill proof grown up cups.  What you can do is take out the stopper of the sippy cups so she can have a lidded cup but no spill proof mechanism and she wouldnt have to work so much to drink. We have a few we use for traveling that dd can choose for the car or when we are at park.

SouthTxPrincess
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:49 AM
My three year old can use a regular cup about half full and has been doing that about six months or so but still get a sippy cup if we are in the car or someplace that I can't bring regular drinks. My 17 month old is learning how to drink out of a regular cup but there can only be a couple of swallows in it or else it just ends up everywhere. She has mostly hard top sippy cups with this little thingy inside the lid to keep it from spilling, also I weird thing I found is that those mots fot tots sippy cups that you find in gas stations make awesome spill proof cups and they are only like two bucks or so.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
prp2014
by Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:19 AM

My kids all except my 13 month old can drink out of regular cups. But my 2 yr old, and 3 yr old twins still get sippy cups if we aren't in the kitchen or at the table because it keeps the messes away.

If she has a hard time with a straw cup I would reccomend the Take and Toss cups with straws. You can get them almost any where. There  is no stopper its just a lid and a straw. They are awesome and my kids love them.

Bmat
by Barb on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:42 AM

I didn't allow drinks except in the kitchen- my kids didn't use sippies.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN