Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Almost 2 year old

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:20 PM
  • 9 Replies
My son has slept in his crib since day 1 from the hospital. Recently he has been difficult about going to sleep in his crib. What should I do now? We have a newborn and he's been sleeping in a bassinet until he gets on a schedule. We definitely don't try to have our kids sleep on the bed with us. I am open to any suggestions on what I should do with my 20 month old
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
sabrtooth1
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I never put my kids in a bassinet, and never put them on a schedule.  The baby was fed when s/he was hungry.  The baby slept in a crib from when it was born, till the next baby needed the crib.  Then the older kid went into a full size bed with rails.  If you are afraid of rails, put the mattress & box spring on the floor till he is older. 

vvnayers
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:45 PM

I'm not really too worried about the rails.  My soon to be 2 year old has the grow with me crip so we can change it to a toddler bed that has a rail on it.  I just really want to know how we can make him go to sleep in his own crib/ bed without being a fight every night.  My husband and I are anticipating that once we convert his crib to the toddler bed he will be getting up every 5 minutes ( which is normal for kids to do) and just not wanting to go to bed.  I know the are a lot of parents who have co slept with the kids in their bed and I want to know what they did to make the transition smoother for their kids going to their own bed I guess

wildhorses420
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:46 PM
1 mom liked this

He's definitely ready for his own bed, even a toddler bed. He'd probably be excited about that

wildhorses420
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah that happens...the best way to do it is exactly what Supernanny does...put him to bed at bedtime, say goodnight and if he keeps getting up, just bring him back every single time without engaging in conversation. If you engage in conversation every time, it'll become a habit.

Quoting vvnayers:

I'm not really too worried about the rails.  My soon to be 2 year old has the grow with me crip so we can change it to a toddler bed that has a rail on it.  I just really want to know how we can make him go to sleep in his own crib/ bed without being a fight every night.  My husband and I are anticipating that once we convert his crib to the toddler bed he will be getting up every 5 minutes ( which is normal for kids to do) and just not wanting to go to bed.  I know the are a lot of parents who have co slept with the kids in their bed and I want to know what they did to make the transition smoother for their kids going to their own bed I guess

MamaRubio26
by Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:53 PM
1 mom liked this
My 2 year old started doing this too a few months ago. I honestly think it was his way of showing he was ready for a new bed. We have a convertible bed and a nine month old. I went ahead and got him a cars toddler bed at Kmart, put my youngest in his the crib and put the second crib away for #3 eventually. I haven't had a problem since.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sabrtooth1
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:25 PM
1 mom liked this

We  never had a problem.  But then again, we never had a problem with our kids "getting up every 5 minutes".  When they were infants, and cried, we fed them, changed them, and put them back to bed immediately.  They learned quick enough that once they were in bed, they were supposed to STAY IN BED.  And when it was time to transition, we just told our older child "Now you get to sleep in the BIG KIDS BED".  She was thrilled. 

Bmat
by Barb on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this

About 2 is when my youngest didn't want to sleep in his bed anymore. So I let him bring his blanket and sleep outside the bedroom door. I asked his doctor and was told that at that age that their minds work so fast that it was hard to say what they were thinking. In your case I'd move the older child to a twin or toddler bed with a railing and the baby to the crib.

megandwade
by Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Get a toddler bed!

amberbamber0213
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this

put him in a regular bed and take the floating noodles that you swim with and slide them under a sheet at the edge of the bed to prevent him from falling off, thats what i did and it helped so much.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN