Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

What could it be... Ugh..

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:47 AM
  • 20 Replies

So, my DS is complaining of an itchy scalp.. I panicked and thought it was lice but I see no eggs or lice in his head and I would clearly be able to see them.. He had eggs a few years ago and I was able to see them.. 

Here is a little about him.. I make him bathe and wash his hair daily, he has been growing his hair out a little and it's getting long.. Also, he bathed about 6 times yesterday and kept washing his hair and blow drying it because he is going through a phase where right now, he has to be cool and fix his hair.. 

What could this be??? He doesn't have an inflamed scalp or flakes.. Could it be dry due to blow drying or too much washing?? Could the cold air be playing a part in it? Should I cut it?

by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:59 AM
1 mom liked this

He is washing it way too much .   How old is he?   It is not good to wash hair daily unless he is using products in it and then you use a clarifying shampoo that is not harsh on the scalp.

steffielou_who
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:03 AM

So, no daily washing?? How about every other day?

He is almost 9..

Quoting frndlyfn:

He is washing it way too much .   How old is he?   It is not good to wash hair daily unless he is using products in it and then you use a clarifying shampoo that is not harsh on the scalp.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:16 AM

every 2-3 days is fine unless there are products used like gel or hair spray.   What he can do between washes is rinse his hair with warm then cold water to help get any oils he feels are excessive w/o stripping the needed ones to protect the scalp.   Blow drying that often can damage the hair as well.  I had my hair longer than past my chest and I only washed 2-3 days for my hair.

Quoting steffielou_who:

So, no daily washing?? How about every other day?

He is almost 9..

Quoting frndlyfn:

sabrtooth1
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:22 AM
I've been washing my hair daily for 60 years, and my hair and scalp are fine. My husband, children, their families, ALL wash daily. Otherwise, you stink. However, 6 times a day is excessive. He may have OCD. Talk to his Ped.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ChancesMommy07
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Thats way to many times in one day, I imagine that would make even the toughest scalp raw. My hair is waist length and I only wash it once a day.

MommyChance
by Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:27 AM
I would say he's washing too much. His scalp is probably dry. Also, if he's using a product that could make it worse. I can't use Aussie product, most of them are really high in alcohol and dry my scalp and the top of my ears out like crazy (it's gross, the tops of my ears peel like they've had a bad sunburn if I use the Aussie leave in conditioner...tmi, sorry).
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:39 AM

I think once a day with a moisturising shampoo will solve the problem.

steffielou_who
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:12 PM
Thanks girls! I'll look at the store! I bought some kids shampoo the other day! I'm afraid that new shampoo may have something to do with it too!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
notjstasocermom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:38 PM

he's drying his scalpout, don't let him shower so much.

Karen_S
by Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:56 PM

I agree with PP - likely the itchiness is from a dry scalp from both the washing and blow drying.  At 9, washing twice a week is probably enough...def. doesn't need daily.  Good conditioner. And less blow drying.  Should make it better. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN