Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Help!! My 6 month old won't sleep in her bed

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 4:36 AM
  • 11 Replies
Here is the gist of what has been happening.... I honestly have lost track how many weeks I have been having this issue. Everyone keeps telling me that I need to let my daughter cry herself to sleep or nothing will change. So, I have tried on countless occassions to take my friends' advice, to no avail. This little girl has a set up pipes on her, and she can scream for a very long time. The longest I think I have allowed her tantrum to go on is approximately two hours straight. The thing about this is that she was sleeping in her bed without a problem. I do not know what happened that made it where now she refuses to. I have gotten used to the fact that she tends to fall asleep when she is drinking her bottle. Usually, after I make sure she is fulling asleep I can transfer her to her bed with ease. She then would sleep for a couple of hours during the day. I had her on a nice little schedule that worked for the whole family. She would take a morning nap, an afternoon nap, an evening nap, and then at bedtime she would sleep the whole night. A while ago that all changed. I just wish I knew what was wrong. Why everytime when she starts to fall asleep from screaming and crying does she turn around and start screaming louder to wake herself up everytime? I hear her finally giving in to sleep and think the battle is over and then she turns around and does that. Yes, I will admit that my nerves are a bit shot when it comes to having to deal with this endless tirade before she goes to sleep in my arms. Even in my arms it takes her a while to settle down and go to sleep. I know that she is teething and I have been giving her lots of things to help ease her pain. No orajel, cold pedialyte pops which she loves, I sometimes freeze or run her toys under warm water for her. She refuses to take a paci and has done so since I brought her home from the hospital. She has never taken one for me. Does not bother me, cept when she is teething and she will not use her paci to teethe on like her brother did. The only conclusion I can come to is that she just had her six month shots and that included her first flu shot. She has never been this clingy after her shots, but, this go around she has. That is the only possible cause to her change in sleep pattern so abruptly that I can see. Am I missing something? What can I do to help her sleep in her bed again? I am soo at a loss. What could be wrong?

busy mom

QTSINGS <3

by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 4:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 5:12 AM

Poor mama, you need your sleep! It's probably just a phase, and teething and possibly some reaction to the shots, I would give her some tylenol.

ckapps4911
by New Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 5:31 AM
1 mom liked this

if shes sleeping better during the day but not at night try changing her head to where he feet used to be...i know it sounds odd but it does work sometimes. also if she has any stuffed animals in her crib take them out. shes little and laying down they can have a "looming over her" effect making her scared. most babies fall asleep slowly opening their eyes every now and then. if she sees stuffed animals they could b scaring her causing her to scream. when she drifts off again it happens again and she starts screaming over it all over again. just an idea. u could also try a small dose of tylenol if u think its the teething. just make sure she not to hot in her crib, he clothes arnt to small, that her diaper is dry, shes full with warm food in her tummy, and theres nothing on her matress or out fit that could b irritating her or poking her. thats all the ideas i got. hope it helps. good luck!

emmy526
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:13 AM
1 mom liked this

What could be wrong is her little body is having a reaction to the shots, and is trying to re-regulate itself, and deal with the chemical assault.  This may go on for a couple more weeks, as her body is trying to absorb the vaccines, and some vaccines can cause a major headache in kids.  THe flu shot she got most likely contained thimerosol as well, unless it was out of a single vial which doesnt' contain thimerolsol, you'd have to ask your pedi which one she got, which to her little brain, is toxic.   And letting her scream after she got vaccines?  wow.....the only thing you can do right now is deal with the aftermath of the vaccines, and help her body adjust.  Letting her CIO is totally wrong for this child at this time.  Poor baby. 

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this
It has nothing to do with the vaccinations. Getting them was the best thing you could do for her. At 6 months, a baby is going through many changes, teething, developmental milestones and a big growth spurt just to name a few. Sleep regression is VERY common and you will likely see it again around 9 months. Just comfort her and give her what she needs now. It will pass. One thing guaranteed when you become a mom is that you will never again sleep like you did before you became one!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mamalusbear
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Does she have a mobile or a sleep machine?  We bought this one for my son and it really helps him doze off:

http://www.amazon.com/Homedics-Lullaby-Machine-Projector-Pounds/dp/B008KG5R6I/ref=sr_1_6?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1362287819&sr=1-6&keywords=sleep+machine

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Mar. 3, 2013 at 12:42 AM

have you tried hylands teething tablets? those work amazing for when baby is teething.  at 6 months alot of people start putting baby on solids as well...maybe its a reaction to certain foods?

felicia0387
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Poor mama, i feel for you. My son was like this when he was little, eventually though letting him cry but checking on him often worked. Wish i could give you the magic soultion, but it sounds as if your doing everything right. Only other thing i could suggest is a projection toy that plays music and nature sounds.

mommyof11050307
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 1:05 AM
Does she have an ear infection? It maybe teething.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cutiesings2u
by Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:55 AM
wow, I did not think that her "Violet" toy in her bed was scaring her. Last night after a long day out, she actually slept the whole night. I moved her toy to the other side of her bed, which might have helped. I got her a Leapfrog Violet for Christmas and she seems to love it. I just never realized it being soo near her in her bed would make it seem like it was looming over her. THat might explain why I kept finding it knocked over everytime I checked on her. I bought Violet for her to use for sleepytime music and bc I bought her brother Scout when he was her age and it is one of his favorite toys. He still sleeps with his and he loves to play with it when he is going to bed. When I got her Violet she was ecstatic and wanted to hug it and play with it. I have also noticed that she is trying to find ways to distract herself when I put her in her bed. The night before last I heard her scratching at the back of her crib. I just figured it was fascinating her in some way. Yesterday she started throwing her tantrum when she was in her car seat, which was new. She usually fusses for a bit and then goes to sleep, this time it was the same fit I deal with when it comes to bed time. I do think it is teething. It seems like during the day she has lots of things to distract her from that pain, but, at night it is too quiet and no distraction other than me holding her and comforting her. Yes, I know that she fought sleep for a while and could not get comfortable right away on my chest, but, after an hour she did finally pass out and she actually stayed asleep when I transferred her to her bed. I know that it was around 1am-ish, which I can handle to an extent. I think I am going to try to get her some tylenol and see if that helps. I am starting to think that the reason I did not really go thru this as much with her brother was bc we gave him a little tylenol every night right before he went to bed. I am still trying to figure out why it has taken me soo long this go around to think of that. I really started to consider it when she was throwing the same tantrum in her car seat, which she hardly ever does.

busy mom

QTSINGS <3

audreesmama
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:57 AM
This is heartbreaking to me. CIO for TWO HOURS??

She is only 6 months old. Why does she need to sleep alone? Do you enjoy sleeping alone?

I would hold her and just love on her as much as I could and try to make her feel safe again. I had a fd who was left to CIO from birth and it was terrible. I had to readjust her, at. 5 months old, to being held and feeling loved. She was just left alone, to figure out how to deal with her own emotions, to CIO like you did. It took us 4 months to get her adjusted to not fighting sleep in our arms. We would rock and sing to her, and she would fall alseep in less than 10 minutes. When she first came to us it would take over an hour.

Maybe your dd doesn't feel secure after being left to cry for hours. Not trying to be a bitch, but that's how I would feel.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)