Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baby signing

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:25 PM
  • 18 Replies

I was just wondering if any of you have any experience with baby signing? Someone recommended it and I looked into it, it looks pretty cool. What are your thoughts?

www.babysignlanguage.com

(I can't make it clicky, I'm mobile.)

by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frstldyhmsch
by Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:38 PM

I think its cool, but only when used with verbal words. Some parents forget to use verbal along with ASL and it can cause some kids to become dependent of ASL only. Other than that I think it's great

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:40 PM

I have seen the benefits it but due to my dd's hand motor delays it was not an option for us.

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:45 PM
It was awesome for my daughter
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CampClan
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:46 PM
I used it with kids #4 & 5 because #3 whined a lot & I didn't want to repeat that. I'm glad I did too. We used signs for milk, more, eat, please, water, & thank you.

Now that I work with infants we (the center) encourages baby signs (there is a website- I think it's babysigns.com but I'm not sure). I have 2 that are 11 & 12 months that can sign their version of all done!
cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:52 PM

I think it's great for anyone to learn sign language.

GodsAmiga
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:57 PM
I've used it with both my kids and plan to with my third as well. We start from day one and we always say the word(s) out loud while signing them. They were both very early talkers but I honestly have no idea whether the signing helped with that or not since they're both also chatter boxes. Lol! But it definitely helped keep frustration to a minimum when they hadn't started talking yet and when they were still in the stage where you couldn't always understand what it was they said. :-) Once they started learning the signs we would encourage them to use them and if they did we would always say out loud the word they had just signed. Then as they began talking we would encourage them to "use your words or your signs" and then after that would come asking them to say the word with the sign or instead of the sign. It probably sounds like it was a long exhausting process but it all came naturally and they were using signs very quickly and both were talking in 3 to 4 word sentences by a year. I'm due this month with our third and our first boy and I'm definitely going to use them with him since I wouldn't be surprised if he waited longer to talk-especially with two older sisters to do all the talking for him! :-D
megandwade
by Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 8:11 PM

My son just turned 2 and has a language disorder. We started learning signs around 18 months and he now knows about 25-30 signs. He uses them regularly. It was amazing to see the connection he made between signing and communication. It greatly improved the amount of frustration he was having with not being able to communicate. Once he figured out he could use the signs to get the things that he wanted/needed, he just took off!

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Mar. 2, 2013 at 8:11 PM
I used the "My baby can talk" videos. LOVVVVEEDDD them.

Communication reduces frustration.

One of the best things I did, with both my girls!
alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Mar. 2, 2013 at 8:27 PM

i wish i had thought of this when my daughter was younger...but i didnt..lol

a friend of mine did it with hers a few years ago, and it was soooo neat!

Bella14308
by Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 8:35 PM
I use asl... my youngest os hoh and my best friend is deaf
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured