Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about my car..

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 12:25 AM
  • 38 Replies

Hoping maybe you ladies or your DH's can help me.. I went to Sam's today and DS and I got a few things, came back out and I tried to start the car.. The car just clicks when I try to start it! It's so weird.. We were in there like 30-45 minutes and the car won't start when we come out.. I have heard a car that won't turn over but this is like a fast, constant click.. So, I call DH and he comes and gets us..

Tonight, we go down to push the car to the end of the parking lot so it will be out of the way of customers parking.. DH and I push it to place and afterwards, DH goes to pull the key out and the car will not release it! It took like 20 minutes to get the key out! Everytime he would try to pull it out, it would ding repeatedly and not let go.. So, my car now sits in Sam's parking lot, abandoned until my dad gets home and can look at it!

But anyone have ay idea what it could be?? It's a 2001 Subaru Legacy..

by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 12:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Mar. 3, 2013 at 12:29 AM

is the battery dead?

steffielou_who
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 12:33 AM

No, the lights and radio all come on.. But it won't even choke when I turn the key.. Just clicks over and over..

Zazayam
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 12:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Does the car have power? (lights, radio, etc?) If not it's the battery. But if it does, then it sounds like either your starter or ignition (or ignition switch) went out. I take it your DH isn't car-handy? If he knows what/where the solenoid is have him lay a flat head screw-driver across the two terminals at the top of it, if the car starts I'd be 90% sure it's starter/ignition/switch related.

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Mar. 3, 2013 at 12:34 AM

is it cold where you live? could it just be frozen?

steffielou_who
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 1:27 AM

It does have power, just won't turn over.. My DH isn't anything handy.. But my dad is.. I will have him look at it! Just hate that it's stranded at Sam's for the night!

Quoting Zazayam:

Does the car have power? (lights, radio, etc?) If not it's the battery. But if it does, then it sounds like either your starter or ignition (or ignition switch) went out. I take it your DH isn't car-handy? If he knows what/where the solenoid is have him lay a flat head screw-driver across the two terminals at the top of it, if the car starts I'd be 90% sure it's starter/ignition/switch related.

Zazayam
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Yeah that really stinks. Better then the side of the road somewhere though, hopefully your dad can figure it out :)

Quoting steffielou_who:

It does have power, just won't turn over.. My DH isn't anything handy.. But my dad is.. I will have him look at it! Just hate that it's stranded at Sam's for the night!

Quoting Zazayam:

lilmama8408
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 1:34 AM
Do you have a wet cell battery?

Our car worked Friday night but then Saturday was clicking and everything else worked. We found out it was a wet cell and went dry. You have to add water and get a jump to start it and then replace your battery
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steffielou_who
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 1:42 AM

No idea.. All I know is that this is the second battery I have had in 4 years which isn't good as it is..

Quoting lilmama8408:

Do you have a wet cell battery?

Our car worked Friday night but then Saturday was clicking and everything else worked. We found out it was a wet cell and went dry. You have to add water and get a jump to start it and then replace your battery

jjmmcc
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 1:46 AM
It sounds like the starter. Good luck

Quoting steffielou_who:

Hoping maybe you ladies or your DH's can help me.. I went to Sam's today and DS and I got a few things, came back out and I tried to start the car.. The car just clicks when I try to start it! It's so weird.. We were in there like 30-45 minutes and the car won't start when we come out.. I have heard a car that won't turn over but this is like a fast, constant click.. So, I call DH and he comes and gets us..

Tonight, we go down to push the car to the end of the parking lot so it will be out of the way of customers parking.. DH and I push it to place and afterwards, DH goes to pull the key out and the car will not release it! It took like 20 minutes to get the key out! Everytime he would try to pull it out, it would ding repeatedly and not let go.. So, my car now sits in Sam's parking lot, abandoned until my dad gets home and can look at it!

But anyone have ay idea what it could be?? It's a 2001 Subaru Legacy..

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
opinionatedmom
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 1:46 AM
2 moms liked this

the clicking is probably your battery. the key not coming out is either a safety switch in the ignition or your ignition switch is out.  and if your ignition switch is out you will have to take it to a mechanic.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured