Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Seriously ITCHY!!!

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:01 AM
  • 22 Replies

My washer machine broke and Im currently broke because my husband has yet to get his first check. A family member is doing my laundry for me due to these circumstances however this family member smokes inside the home so when she brings my clothes over they are covered in third hand smoke. I appreciate the help so much but our skin has been breaking out in rashes by our I mean my 2 sons and I. I am also pregnant and don't know how it will effect my unborn child. Right now I am trying to fight the urge to scratch my body so hard it would bleed. I have also been suffering severe headaches ever since they started helping us with laundry. My only other choice is to have myself and my kids wear dirty clothes that are covered in day to day grime or dirty clothes covered in cancer causing chemicals. I feel so at a loss right now. I just want to cry :'(

Just want to say that I appreciate all your advice and that I also appreciate all my family has done for me during this rough patch. They are all really caring and are great people. 

by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
squeekers
by Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:05 AM

((cafemom hug))

Armywife081011
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Awww Thanks! I feel so bad for complaining about this but I just don't know what to do :(

Quoting squeekers:

((cafemom hug))

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Mar. 4, 2013 at 6:45 AM
Stop sending the clothes there! Say thank you but we worked it out. :)

The smoke is so unlikely to affect an unborn baby btw lol.

I'd be handwashing and hang drying to get by.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CampClan
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:11 AM
2 moms liked this

I agree. If it's effecting your health then stop. I would do as this poster said & handwash... just use the detergent you have in the bath tub or kitchen sink. Then toss in your dryer! Good Luck Mamma!

Quoting AM-BRAT:

Stop sending the clothes there! Say thank you but we worked it out. :)

The smoke is so unlikely to affect an unborn baby btw lol.

I'd be handwashing and hang drying to get by.

LDavis33
by Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:37 PM

I understand your concerns about the smoke, and if it bothers you, maybe try doing your washing at a laundromat.  Although I really don't think that smoke on your clothing will have an impact on your baby.

However, I'd doubt that it is the smoke that is causing the itching.  It's more likely the detergent or fabric softener that they are using, or it could be that their washing machine isn't rinsing the clothes effectively.  Try using oatmeal baths to soothe the itch.  Aveeno lotion works well too. 

abusednotbroken
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Get a bar of zote or other laundry soap and do it by hand. Even a regular bar of soap you use for your body can be used. It's very effective.

breebree04
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 1:48 PM

I agree with this. More than likely you have an allergy to the laundry soap or fabric softener.

Quoting LDavis33:

I understand your concerns about the smoke, and if it bothers you, maybe try doing your washing at a laundromat.  Although I really don't think that smoke on your clothing will have an impact on your baby.

However, I'd doubt that it is the smoke that is causing the itching.  It's more likely the detergent or fabric softener that they are using, or it could be that their washing machine isn't rinsing the clothes effectively.  Try using oatmeal baths to soothe the itch.  Aveeno lotion works well too. 

MMerrill
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:13 PM

It wont bother the baby while you are pregnant but they say 3rd hand smoke is just as dangerous for babies as second hand smoke, so once the baby is here it could be a bigger problem.  Maybe try hand washing or go to a landromat.

wedding countdown

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Armywife081011
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Husband is in boot camp and has yet to get paid so I don't have a dime to my name. Parents loaned me money and bought diapers/food for the house or I would go to the laundry mat. I may try the handwashing though. 

Quoting MMerrill:

It wont bother the baby while you are pregnant but they say 3rd hand smoke is just as dangerous for babies as second hand smoke, so once the baby is here it could be a bigger problem.  Maybe try hand washing or go to a landromat.

Zazayam
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Wash them in your tub and hang them up to dry. Far from ideal, sure. But it's not that bad.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN