Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

At-Home-Daycare

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:16 AM
  • 13 Replies

If your child goes to an at-home-sitter.......how many children are there?  Is that person certified?  How many children are YOU comfortable with them watching at one time?  Are the ages spaced out?

I ask b/c I have been doing this for almost 7yrs now and have had a mom tell me that a certain number of kids are too many for one to handle.  HUH?  Maybe for you, but I've been doing this awhile now and know what I'm doing.  Yes, this mom needs to put her child first and make sure they are taken care of BUT this mom also knew that I was going to take on others and then proceeds to get mad at me when I tell her I'm interviewing new families.  First this mom said 3 infants (7-9mos) are too many and then comes back the next day and says 5 kids are just way too many for one to handle at a time.  oh well.......to each their own.  

by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ceciliam
by Cecilia on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Aren't there laws, on how many kids an at home daycare can have? I've never used daycare, so I don't know about these things.

MsRkg
by Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:19 AM

I kinda agree with her. There is only so much that one person can do at a time, and watching 5 infants (7-9 months) who are active at that age and crawling around and getting into everything is a lot. You only have so many eyes and hands, and like we all know it only takes one second for things to happen.

kitchen.ninja
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:20 AM
There are laws about how many kids. Are you licensed?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
aimesnyc
by Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this

The home daycare that my son goes to is licensed for 12 children ages 6 weeks - 12 years.  I'm not exactly sure of the ratio of ages, but it seems to be mostly toddlers.  However, she also has her sister, daughter, an assistant, husband and son on the license.  I trust them all, and she seems to be able to handle the kids that she has.  In fact, her daughter is in school for early childhood education and my son LOVES her. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Yes there are laws.  No, I wouldn't take on more kids than I can handle.  I would only have 3 infants (one of which is my own son) then 2 preschoolers.  Then come summer time 2 of those kids would not be here since they are teacher kids.  

Just curious what others thought and other sitters had.......

KairisMama
by Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:29 AM
1 mom liked this

My kids go to a woman who has 3 of her own, and watches two others. She has a 3rd grader, a 1st grader, and a 3 yo. My 1st grader goes to school with her DD and the other 1st grade boy she watches. My son stays with her 3 yo son, and the other 2 yo girl she watches.

She is not licensed, but she has a degree in early childhood education. She worked as a preschool teacher before having kids. I think she's great.

thatgirl70
by Carin on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Let's put it this way, my son's first sitter was an in-home. I can't remember how many kids she was licensed to take care of (it's been almost 6 years), but at any given time she had a lot more than what she was allowed. Granted, except for my son and one toddler, they were all school age, but it still bugged me and my DH because we know our son wasn't adequately taken care of at the expense of those kids (he wasn't ignored or neglected, but she catered to their desires more than his needs).

All I care is that you are not handling more than the law allows. 

prettymomma1204
by Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:20 PM
1 mom liked this
I work in a large family childcare home. We can have 12 kids with 2 adults. right now it's 1 infant, 2 18-22month, 2 2year olds, and 7 kids about to leave for pre-k. we've cared for most of them since infancy and a couple since just before they turned 2.
Our days are VERY busy but not out of control or hectic. It gets loud and a lot of parent see that as being a free for all but everything is always under control. We have daily routines that keep us all happy and busy. =)
We can easily handle our 12 but some might find that very difficult.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
onetoone
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:07 AM
1 mom liked this

I run a daycare from home and 5 is the limit. I am transitioning 2 kids in before 2 kids leave and the parents get crazy when they see more than 5 kids here. I am worried about paying my bills so I do overlap the newbies with the group for about 4 hours a week, which is nothing! Parents still get upset.

alimorgan
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:58 AM

If you are certified then you need to find out your state guidelines. In the Georgia guidelines it states 3 to 6 children that are not the caregivers children, it also states you can care for up to 2 more children 3 and over for 2 designated hours a day. Someone over the age of 16 must be present if you have the following :more than three children under the age of 12 months are present; or
 more than six children under the age of three years are present; or
Any more then 6 children and a different certification and licensing need s to be received, at 7 children you are no longer a regular in home daycare you are considered a Group daycare. There are no age limits that I could find in the code book, in other words it doesn't say you can only have 2 infants and 3 toddlers it just says up to 6 children

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured