Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Testicle exams...

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 5:06 PM
  • 32 Replies

Poll

Question: Should I force my son to get checked?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 33

View Results

During a simple routine checkup last year, the doctor suggested a testicle exam for my 8 yo son, she tried to examine him, but he didn't really let her touch his testicles, he said it was too awful because of his sensitivity, and I absolutely didn't want to force him. The doctor got a bit angry and said to make another appointment to talk about it and eventually examine him. It actually never happened.

I was planning to send him to summer camp this year, and I just received the list of the exams required for the admission, and guess what? a testicle exam is on the list! I find it absurd, and I really wonder if I should force him so he could go to the camp…I really don't see why it is necessary though.

What do you think? Do you think this exam is necessary? Should I force him to get checked?

by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 5:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
x_Starr_x
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 5:08 PM
drs check testies from birth to death it's normal there are so many issues that boys can have its also related to the prostate when older they check placement and an growths abnormality etc....
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
x_Starr_x
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 5:10 PM
forgot it also has to do with urology stuff to such as peeing.
x_Starr_x
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 5:11 PM
here's something to read over. http://m.kidshealth.org/teen/sexual_health/guys/testicles.html
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 5:20 PM
Too sensitive? Maybe he needs an exam. He needs to get used to exams. Lucky he isn't a girl. Paps are worse.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Zazayam
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 5:31 PM

It's a normal exam and it checks for all sorts of problems, all boys gotta go through it. I would be sure to make him do it if he's got that much sensitivity.

Aamy
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 5:33 PM
Its just an exam. The dr isn't going to do anything. And yes they DO need to be felt sometimes. And what is "his sensitivity"???
snowangel1979
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 5:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes.

Maybe explain what's going to happen. It's less then a minute they touch them and he has to cough. Their checking for a hernia, Ect.
Maybe a male doctor would make it a little more comfortable for him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2manydiapers
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 5:45 PM
Every check up my 3 boys get checked. If its required do it. Or don't send him.
jackiewal10
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 5:47 PM

How has he gotten to the age of 8 and not had an exam?  My kids (ages almost 5 and 2) have gotten checked at every well-visit from birth on-ward.  I would tell him that it is an exam that needs to be done.  Would he feel more comfortable with a male doctor?  Maybe it's just that he doesn't want a female doctor. 

emmy526
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 6:12 PM
2 moms liked this

i'm sure a male dr would make a world of difference for your son....i'm sure he's embarrassed as hell to have a female touching him...heck, i don't like most male drs  myself, i feel  i can relate to a female dr much better.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)