Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

flea and tick help!!!

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 6:46 PM
  • 23 Replies
I need help with a dog we just adopted. I need something for fleas and ticks. Is there any recomendations? I have two kids that are very hands on with her. And she also sleeps with the kids. What can i use on her for flea and ticks? She is a lab mix. About 30 lbs.

Thanks everyone! Took her to the vet. She just had a few ticks. Didnt find any fleas. We went with the one for fleas and ticks.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 6:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jabs54
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:02 PM

We use Frontline from the vet.  I hope you've had a thorough exam on the dog, especially since he sleeps with your kids.

Zazayam
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 1:19 AM

Put some garlic in her food. Fresh or powder, works wonders. :)

x_Starr_x
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 1:27 AM
go to vet get trifexus it's for fleas ticks worms and heart worms lasts all month.
alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Mar. 5, 2013 at 1:49 AM

i recommend "advatange".  it works amazing!

Alyssa1988-21
by Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 1:50 AM
A bath in the blue dawn dish soap will remove them off of the dog.
Peppermint oil soap is good too
paganmommy4
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:08 AM
1 mom liked this

A diluted and reg dawn dish soap in a bath, spraying vinegar on him ( diluted) borax on the carpet for 48 hours then vaccuum.

bi-polarmommy
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:11 AM

rubbing alcolhol will kill on contact, but not the eggs

if shes all bitten up from the fleas, dont do it though, it HURTS, and AVOID THE EYES!!!!!!

MamaSnaps
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Dawn dish detergent kills fleas on contact, but bathing too often causes many other problems in dogs and will make them actually STINK. It removes the oils from their skin so the skin then goes into overdrive to produce them and that causes a whole new set of problems, so bathe once a month if not less than that. 

We use revolution for parasites here. We've used frontline and advantage with better results from advantage for fleas. Frontline wears off too soon and you can't apply it faster. Revolution covers most all parasites-roundworm, hookworm, fleas, ear mites, mange and ticks. I believe Advantage does all of the above too. Frontline and Advantix are only flea and tick, you have to treat regularly for the other parasites. 

SweetLuci
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Don't let the dog sleep with the kids, the feas and ticks will get in the mattress and then you'll have a bigger problem. Take the dog to the vet. He will have good recommendations for things that will work, but be safe around the kids.

alimorgan
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:00 AM

we tried a lot of home remedies tih our little dog nothing worked, we finally broke down and we bought advantix, it worked beautifully! I also bought cap-star, bathed the dog provided a dose of cap-star, in 24 hours applied the advantix we were flea free, applied once a month.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN