Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

swaddleing help

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:01 PM
  • 21 Replies
Are any of u lil Mamas swaddleing? We are..we have a 3 month old and he has swaddle since birth. My question is he is starting to out grow the swaddles as he is trying to get his legs and hands free. And they don't make them any bigger....I know we can use a blanket but it would be the same result. The problem is he doesn't sleep unless he is swaddled....so any ideas out there on how to get the little guy some sleep and mama too???!! =D
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:18 PM
1 mom liked this

use a larger blanket and do a burrito type style wrapping on him.   our dd never liked swaddling so we did not do it.

MarylandMom123
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I used a 2 part swaddle...a large blanket, then a layer with Velcro to really keep those arms inside! Similar to this product:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3726439

My daughter was swaddled until she was about 5-6 months old. We had to gradually move her out of the swaddle. We'd swaddle with one arm free for a few nights, then the other arm free for a few nights, and finally just switched to a regular sleep sack. Good luck!

jackiewal10
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Well, they do make large swaddle blankets.  Summer (can find at Target or BRU) brand sells 42"x42" swaddle blankets.  I can even still swaddle my 2 year old (playing, not to actually sleep) in his old 42"x42" swaddle blankets.

MamaSnaps
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I never had anything special to swaddle my kids in. Just a blanket. THe swaddling things my grands had? Seemed like more of a PITA! 

If you feel you need one take a blanket and make yourself a larger swaddler. 

kirbymom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:03 AM

We had the same problem with a few of our kids. What I did to compensate was swadle them at their bedtimes and then covered them with a little heavier blanket that was too hard to kick off after they were able to pull their hands and feet free from the swaddled blanket.  That helped them have a little more sleep and eventually they got used to sleeping that way.  

LoreleiSieja
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Whenever you teach your child to sleep using a particular trick, there comes a time when that trick no longer works and you have to train your child to sleep without it.  The same thing happens when a parent puts a child to bed with a bottle or pacifier.  One day, they want the child to go to sleep without it, and there are problems.  You can swaddle with a larger blanket, but that isn't solving the problem.  Eventually, you will have to put the child to bed without swaddling.

Sleep training takes time, about two months.  There are entire books written about sleep training, but it isn't that difficult.  It just takes dedication.  In brief:

Day one: develop a bedtime routine, complete with a specific time, and stick to it faithfully.  Then lay your child in his crib.  Stay there beside his crib until he falls asleep.  If he cries, pat his back, or rub it, or lightly brush the hair on his head.  Dim the lights.  Turn off noise or music, unless you live in a noisy area then you can turn on a white-noise machine that is to "block" noises.  Stay there until the baby is asleep.  This can take up to an hour. 

Do this every night for two weeks.  Then, the next night, do not rub the child's back, but stay by his crib until he falls asleep.  Do not sing to him, talk to him, or pick him up.  Just be there.  Do this for two weeks.

Then, when you put him to bed, move about a foot or two away from the crib, but stay there until he falls asleep.  Continue this method, moving slowly farther away, until the child sleeps without you.  He will have learned how to "self soothe" and put himself to sleep, and you will never have a problem getting him to sleep again. Period.

mama_heather
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 1:12 PM

You could get a bigger blanket or if you have a family/friend that can sew you could have them make you a bigger one. You might look online and see if they carry larger sizes online. We loved swaddling but she got too big and just stopped (wish we hadn't).

la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 2:06 PM

You could get a bigger blanket

Ninjabubble
by Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 2:10 PM
At target they have huge swaddle blankets. I'm still swaddling my 10 month old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Mar. 5, 2013 at 2:20 PM
Get a bigger blanket.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN