Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

my 6 year old always talking back to me.

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:24 PM
  • 29 Replies

My son is always talking back to me!!!He never talks back to daddy just me..

by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:27 PM
How do you discipline? How consistant??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
breebree04
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:28 PM
2 moms liked this

Are you putting up with it or are there punishments for it? Sometimes kids do one thing with one parent but not the other because they know they can get away with it with the other parent.

LuLuRex
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 4:50 PM

I have the same questions. Six is definitely an age where kids test what they can get any with.

Quoting atlmom2:

How do you discipline? How consistant??

Roo1234
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:33 AM
when does it happen? is your son trying to delay a punishment or chore? is he trying to have the last word? do you re-enage with him or do you make it clear that you are done with the discussion?
LoreleiSieja
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:34 AM
4 moms liked this

The fact he backtalks to you and not his daddy means two things: he does not respect you, and you allow him to backtalk.  

Step one: whenever you tell him to do something, just tell him, then leave.  If he starts to balktalk, let him talk to empty space.  The power he gets right now is in aggrevating you, or trying to get out of doing whatever you told him to do.  If you ignore it and leave, he has no more power.  

Step two: show him respect, and demand he show you respect.  Stand tall.  Be confident.  Don't use the "just wait until I tell your father" line, because that teaches him that Daddy is more powerful than you are.  You might get a LOUD whistle to carry around, and when he starts backtalking, blow it.  Then tell him in a calm, firm voice.  "That was very disrespectful.  We do not treat one another that way in this house.  You will either talk to me respectfully, or not at all."  If he does it again immediately - that is something to be disciplined.  Have an appropriate discipline in mind - such as extra chores, and put him to work.

To show him  respect, really listen to him when he IS talking respectfully.  Put down your book, or stop doing your chores and pay attention.  That really teaches him that you value him, and what he has to say, that you will hear him when he talks - which is CRITICAL for him to learn before he hits middles school and his teen years.

Raising Creative Children

Nurturing Creative Young Minds and Wiggly Bodies

kirbymom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:18 PM

I really could not have said this any better!  Great job as well as great advice!  :)  

Quoting LoreleiSieja:

The fact he backtalks to you and not his daddy means two things: he does not respect you, and you allow him to backtalk.  

Step one: whenever you tell him to do something, just tell him, then leave.  If he starts to balktalk, let him talk to empty space.  The power he gets right now is in aggrevating you, or trying to get out of doing whatever you told him to do.  If you ignore it and leave, he has no more power.  

Step two: show him respect, and demand he show you respect.  Stand tall.  Be confident.  Don't use the "just wait until I tell your father" line, because that teaches him that Daddy is more powerful than you are.  You might get a LOUD whistle to carry around, and when he starts backtalking, blow it.  Then tell him in a calm, firm voice.  "That was very disrespectful.  We do not treat one another that way in this house.  You will either talk to me respectfully, or not at all."  If he does it again immediately - that is something to be disciplined.  Have an appropriate discipline in mind - such as extra chores, and put him to work.

To show him  respect, really listen to him when he IS talking respectfully.  Put down your book, or stop doing your chores and pay attention.  That really teaches him that you value him, and what he has to say, that you will hear him when he talks - which is CRITICAL for him to learn before he hits middles school and his teen years.

kali_mom
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:43 PM
Sound advice. Stand your ground and be loving BUT firm.

Quoting kirbymom:

I really could not have said this any better!  Great job as well as great advice!  :)  

Quoting LoreleiSieja:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Bump!

LindaClement
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes.

He trusts you, so he is free to express himself.

You want him to be free to express himself, right? That comes with not pretending he's a robot that takes voice commands...

SweetLuci
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Tell him that any time he talks back he will be sent to his room, then do it consistently. Or another punishment, like going to bed early, or no tv.  And don't get angry. He's trying to get a reaction from you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN