Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Very bad diaper rash, help!

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:00 PM
  • 19 Replies

I cloth diaper and we had some soap/build up issues that gave baby a bad rash.

We spent a weekend mostly naked and got the diapers pretty much all cleaned up.  And the rash pretty much went away.  But he still has two very bad blisters, so bad they bleed a little in his night time diaper.

Now he has kind of pink rash all over between his legs.  I let him be naked as much as I can (I let him poop on the carpet this morning :/)

I just don't know what to do

We powder, change every hour even just to check, and change when he needs it too, lotion, naked, disposable inserts.

Help please!

by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pinstripes819
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Try Aquaphor ointment.  It works wonders.

MommyofSCC
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Do baking soda baths, being naked as much as possible is great.  When he is in a dipaer make sure he is has some barrier cream on.  I cloth diaper as well but when by dd has a bad break out I switch to disposable at least for nights.  I also use antifungal mixed with a&d ointment then cover that in desitin and it worked wonders.  Good luck and I hope he feel better soon

Shelby212302
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:11 PM
I used baby oatmeal with warm water on my boys bum, let it rest on there for 20 or so mins then do an oatmeal/baking soda bath. Let baby air dry then coconut oil, and when you think you have enough oil on it, put more on with a bit of baby powder or corn starch. Hope baby is better soon!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rachel_2010
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Quoting MommyofSCC:

Do baking soda baths, being naked as much as possible is great.  When he is in a dipaer make sure he is has some barrier cream on.  I cloth diaper as well but when by dd has a bad break out I switch to disposable at least for nights.  I also use antifungal mixed with a&d ointment then cover that in desitin and it worked wonders.  Good luck and I hope he feel better soon

Thank you!

Trip to the pharmacy tomorrow and bath tonight

rachel_2010
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Shelby212302:

I used baby oatmeal with warm water on my boys bum, let it rest on there for 20 or so mins then do an oatmeal/baking soda bath. Let baby air dry then coconut oil, and when you think you have enough oil on it, put more on with a bit of baby powder or corn starch. Hope baby is better soon!

I have all that in the house, so I can try tonight, well when he wakes up from napping

Thanks!

oaron5555
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Raw Organic Coconut oil and some Lanolin.

You can usually find lanolin at a health food store.  The Coconut oil has natural antibacterial properties and the Lanolin is natural and a way to create a  thick barrier so the rash can heal.  Good luck.

rachel_2010
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:26 PM

So baby is used to having showers with his dad, and will not sit in water, so managed to get his butt all wet in baking soda water like twice and that's it.

His bum has been soo sore that he doesn't like us to touch it, he can tell we are going to put stuff on his rash and will staighten his legs so you have to fight him to get to it.  Managed to get a little coconut oil on the bad spots.

try again tomorrow...

carterscutie85
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:29 PM

What about changing the cloth diaper itself? Like changing the material it's made out of. Or changing the baby wipes/powder. All those things could be making it worse. Babies can sometimes develop an allergy to something they were fine with before.

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:50 PM

If you're breastfeeding...try some breast milk. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

aj_mom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Quoting MommyofSCC:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN