Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WWV (World War of Vegetables) HELP!

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:33 PM
  • 38 Replies

My daughter will be 3 next month and when it comes time to dinner, or really any meal for that matter but i'll just keep this to the dinner issue, she would rather not eat at all if I tell her she needs to eat her vegetables first. Help? Our pediatrician tells me every time we go to his office, "You are the one that is in controll what she eats". So what am I supposed to do? Let her NOT eat dinner? (which i've done...trying to be stern and consistant).*I've added a little background info about our situation below...in case that helps...Thanks in advance for reading/replying/helping!

I'm a single mom and this is my first kid (never did babysitting or anything like that as a kid either, so this is all extremely new to me). My daughter and I get home between 6:45pm and 7pm every night (get off work at 6pm, pick her up around 6:30). So by the time we get home, I don't have time to actually cook a real dinner. Not to mention that every time I have cooked a "real" dinner, she refuses to eat it and then the food goes to waste...and I can't afford that. The vegetables I offer are canned peas and green beans, fresh vegetables (even fruit!) will end up going to waste and those are the only two I can get her to eat WHEN she eats them.

by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Elyssa414
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:37 PM
We have a rule in our house that the kids have to take 3 bites of everything on their plate to be excused, and have to eat everything in order to eat anything else... So ex: if they want seconds of mashed potatoes, they have to finish the field roast and broccoli first, or if they take 3 bites of everything and get down, they don't get a snack later before bed when they complain that they're hungry....

I serve really small portions so that it's pretty easy, and my kids almost always want seconds of something! :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
norahsmommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:39 PM
I cook a balanced meal with at least one thing I know my kids like on the plate. I tell them " one bite of each item on the plate and then you can leave the table". If they don't eat their bites, they go to bed 45 minutes early. That is how it's been every day of our kids lives after their second birthday. I don't fight or push, it's just how it is. There are no alternatives and no after dinner snacks. They can eat their dinner if hungry. My 8 yr old lived on air for 3 years before giving up and eating her meals. She is now has a wide range of tastes and is willing to try anything. My 5 yr old just started following suit this month. My 3 yr old still lives on air but she will come around. ;). My 1 yr old eats anything set in front of him. He loves all food. Tonight we had pork in a home made curry sauce with steamed kale and strawberries on the side with a little drizzle of honey.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Put the veggies in spaghetti sauce, mashed cauliflower into mashed potatoes, buy her fruitables juice boxes (2 servings of veggies in one juice box).   You may need to stay up later the night before and prepare the food.  A crockpot would be your best friend given the situation.  You put everything in the crockpot and it simmers all day while everyone is out of the house.  I saw on biggest loser a recipe that put 6-7 different veggies in meatloaf for one of their teens who hated veggies.

sabrtooth1
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:29 PM
4 moms liked this

1) *I* wouldn't eat a canned vegetable, except artichoke hearts or tomatoes, if you beat me with a stick.  But I will eat everyfresh or frozen vegetable.  Just not the frozen stuff swimming in some gelatinous sauce.

2) Why would vegetables and fruit go to waste if your dd doesn't eat them?  Don't YOU eat them?  THAT is your problem.   Your dd will do what YOU do.  You need to set a good example.  And you need to NOT give in and give her junk.  Believe me, she will NOT starve, if you offer appetizing, well made food.  Which brings me to

3)Of COURSE, you can cook a "real" dinner.  My dh traveled from Monday thru Friday,I worked full time, had  2 daughters, 2.5 years apart, (plus 3 dogs and a house to keep up)  and managed to cook real dinners.   My dd has a 1 year old, she works 8-5, her DH works 12-9, and SHE cooks every night.

Cook frozen veggies.  Takes 5 minutes.   Clean fresh veggies on Sunday, put in individual zip bags and cook 'tonight's" when you get home.  Stir fry takes 5-6 minutes.  Steam, just as long, after the water boils.  Put boneless, skinless chicken breast under the broiler.  Takes 10 minutes.  Same with a thin cut pork chop, or a fish fillet.  Put a SMALL amount of food on her plate.  Let her watch YOU eat the same food.  if she doesn't eat, after you are finished, put EVERYTHING away.  DO NOT GIVE HER ANYTHING ELSE, except water, till next meal.  Eat leftovers cut up into a salad the next day.  If she won't eat, finish it yourself.  3rd day, new meat, new veggie.  Continue to offer what YOU are also eating.  She WILL eventually eat, as long as you offer NOTHING ELSE.

momof6nokc
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:18 PM
Vegetables don't always need to be cooked to be a side dish for dinner. We eat a lot of raw carrots, cut up cucumbers, grape tomatoes, salads, red/yellow/orange bell peppers, celery and sugar snap peas---all raw.

I always have a bowl of fresh fruit on the kitchen counter with apples, oranges and bananas. I buy grapes and cherries, rinse them and place them in a bowl (a paper towel lining the bowl catches moisture) and I keep it in the refrigerator. The kids will grab those for snack if they're already prepared.
I also serve fresh fruit as a dinner side. It's not unusual for us to have a bowl of cherries or strawberries on the table with our fish and broccoli! LOL

Fish, chicken and pork chops are quick and easy in the oven.
A crock pot will be your best friend!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:31 PM
Only serve fruits, veggies and meats. Nothing else. No snacks, junk, or anything. Kids will eat if you don't offer anything else. You are in charge.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
terpmama
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Get her involved too. I try to batch cook on the weekends (meat loaves freeze well as do most casseroles), stew is great for adding frozen veggies to. I agree with some of the pops that you should be eating them too and frozen are way better than canned (I really like the steamers). Maybe try them raw with ranch or cooked with ranch or ketchup (I know not great nutritionally but kids love to dunk).

mamamiajk
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:14 AM

OUR LIL ONES ARE VERY GOOD WITH MANUIPULATING....iF YOU KNOW YOU ARE SETTING A GOOD MENU THEN i WOULD DEFINATELY LET HER GO HUNGRY. mY pED TOLD ME THEY WILL EAT WHEN THEY ARE HUNGRY. hAVE YOU TRIED SERVING THE VEGGIES RAW? i AM 58 AND STILL PREFER CERTIN SOME RAW WITH A FAVORITE DIP. mY KIDS ALL EAT A LOT MORE VARIETY WHEN IN COMES TO EATING THEM

shh

momof6nokc
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:50 AM

I agree with a previous poster---if you don't buy junk and don't keep it in your house then your child won't eat it :o)

If you have a local farmer's market then take your DD to that on the weekends and let HER pick some veggies and fruits.  My son loves to chat with the vendors and try new things. He even picks herbs to try, LOL

**Just call me Stuart**

marisab
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:17 AM

I have the opposite problem .My son welle at his veggies and fruits but not meat or breads!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured