Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

If you change the spelling, is the name still the same?

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:43 PM
  • 5 Replies
We're thinking about naming our son (possibly, we go Friday to find out the sex) Caelus, pronounced Kay-liss, but my husband and I both dislike the spelling. I prefer Kaelis but Im trying to figure out if changing the spelling also changes the meaning. Caelus was a Roman god and it means celestial, which is important to us because it's 'nature' oriented. Just looking for opinions on whether the spelling change also equals a meaning change. I dont care if you like the name! :-)
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Look it up in a name book.   Some have several alternate spellings.  I prefer to go with the original spelling for most things.

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Google the spelling you like and see. Good luck!

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

MamaSnaps
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:56 PM

This is my outlook on the meaning of a name: it means what his PARENTS meant it to be. I didn't name my kid Kale as in lettuce-even though that is what it is. Teach him that it is derived from the Roman God Caelus, but you chose to give him his very own spelling. 

Think very carefully about what that name is going to be like as a child in school. 

We have a Kale. It's HELL on him. He's called Kayla or kaylee... There are many beautiful names that I absolutely love, but don't forget that kids are so incredibly cruel to each other. I like Kaelis, but I forsee much of the same headaches for him as my Kale suffers with. THANK GOD my Kale is a very strong personality and it doesn't bother him, but I have seen so many kids hurt horribly by the taunting that starts only with their name. 

Zazayam
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:54 AM
1 mom liked this

I like the name (But you don't care :P)

I would just say that it's derived from Caelus. It means whatever you want it to mean, really.

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Mar. 6, 2013 at 2:02 AM
1 mom liked this

i ike the name too...i wouldnt think it would have a different meaning just cuz you change the spelling..but i dont know for sure..lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)