Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Crazy mood swings...

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:21 AM
  • 9 Replies
This is really not an advice thing, just kinda a general discussion. I am having the worst mood swings since I have been pregnant, I am only 17 weeks just think how crazy I will be when I am further along... My hormones were not like this when I was pregnant with my daughter!! She is 3 1/2 and is driving me nuts I have a very short temper with her to the point where sometimes I just have to go outside or somewhere away from her!!! DH says I have turned into a royal bitch and he doesn't want to be around me (he was kidding about that part, we've been together 7 years and he would never leave!) Who all has dealt with this before and how do I make it better? I feel like a terrible mom and wife sometimes!
CafeMom Tickers
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
MMerrill
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 2:17 PM

When you are feeling a crazy mood swing coming on, go for a walk, talk a hot bath, do something to relax!  My hormones went crazy during my pregnancy... sometimes it's just something you can't help.  Just got to try and control them!

wedding countdown

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

brittany208
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Are you working? Would you ever talk to your boss the way you talk to your family? Probably not. (if you are not working, I'm sure you can imagine) In other words, it IS possible for you to control yourself. i think people often take things out on their loved ones because they know they can get away with it and the people won't leave them. but if you think about how you ARE capable of controlling yourself, how your reactions to things are a CHOICE, then that's probably a good first step.

Then, you just have to figure out ways to calm down. Remove stresses from your life--even little ones. Its weird but sometimes I just cannot stand being in uncomfy clothes, like jeans that dont really fit anymore, or having my shoes on in the house. I've noticed I get really grouchy when I'm in uncomfortable clothes, so I get in something cozy right away. Any other little things bothering you? Can you do things a little differently? set up routines or rules or whatever to deal with the little things?

Sarafinn2012
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:28 PM

I heaar you! I was the meanest person ever when I was pregnant with my son. I have 3 girls who are 10, 7 and 6 and never felt as irritated all the time as when I was pregnant with my boy (he is 6 months old). I just figured it was the competition of the hormones. Hope you get through this time. Most importantly, find an outlet. Reading, knitting, cleaning, bubble baths, bingo......

LoreleiSieja
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:46 AM

You could be just over-tired.  Early pregnancy is exhausting, even though you might not be showing yet.  If you allow yourself a nap every day, and go to bed early, you might just find that you have more patience for everyone.

It's also possible that you are having pregnancy-induced depression.  Do you cry easily, as well?  You should speak to your doctor about this.  Some anti-depressants are NOT safe to take while pregnant, but being depressed is not safe, either.  An anti-depessant will help smooth out your mood swings and keep you calm.

There are some herbal mood-balancers, but check with your doctor before taking them.  Not all herbal remedies are safe during pregnancy.

Talk with your husband when you are in a "good" place, and let him know that you are aware of your mood swings, and you appologize in advance, but you need his help to get you through this.  Let him know that sometimes he really needs to just take the 3 yr old and go somewhere - the park perhaps - and give you some space!  Then you can tell him that you wil try extra hard to control your mood swings when he returns.

And be sure to spend some quality time with you child.  Let her know that you still love her, and she will always be "your baby girl" even though you are having another child.  

Raising Creative Children

Nurturing Creative Young Minds and Wiggly Bodies

AromaDrops33
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Wild orange essential oil can help stabilize mood swings, uplift moods ect. And is safe to use while pregnant. If you want more detailed information on this just message me :)

kirbymom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:56 PM

You should find something that is an immediate lessening of your inner craziness and then find ways to recognize them coming on and then ways to combat them once you feel/see those signs starting to come on you.  If you have a favorite song, melody you should play it. If you like and can stand the smells since being pregnant, you should do some candles throughout the house and light them when you feel the mood swings start to happen.  You just need to find the things that help you to feel happy in your mind. That will help to leeson the effects of the raging hormones.  I used to go through the same thing with each of my 7 kids when I was carrying them.  :)   

kali_mom
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:00 PM
I have 5 children and each pregnancy has been different. Tears, anger, frustration, sleep deprivation, pure excitement. Needles to say the list goes on and on. Saying all that to say its tough and a challenge but keep in mind it only takes 90 seconds for us to change our thought pattern. Remove yourself from ANY situation where you are feeling like its a meltdown. Take it one hour at a time if you need to. Baby girl is just that, your little angel that is learning each day she's with you. Now is the time to teach her how to handle a trying situation. Hang in there.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 4:28 PM

I dealt with horrible mood swings while pregnant as well. I learned to take time to relax, indulge in a hobby and do things that help me stay calm. For example: showers, walks and listening to music.

((hugs))

LindaClement
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:49 AM

Vigilant self-care.

You're very likely far more exhausted than you realize (this is the 'sleeping trimester') and if you're not resting at LOT more than normal, and eating very carefully, and getting lots of fluids, you'll have nothing in reserve to float the other hormonal stuff happening.

It's not uncommon for women to need to sleep again after only being away for 45 minutes or an hour... you're building a human being in there, it takes it out of you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)