Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Spring Cleaning Challenge Day 2: Start the Purge

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:00 AM
  • 254 Replies
3 moms liked this

Welcome to Day 2 of the Spring Cleaning Challenge!

Do you have a lot of stuff you no longer need? Sort through your things to decide if an item is something you want to keep, if it's broken, or if it's donatable. If you want to keep something but find it a better place in your home, put it in a "Keep" pile. If it's beyond repair, put it in a "Toss" pile to throw away or recycle. If it's in good shape but you no longer need it, put it in a "Donate" pile. The goal is to have far more items in your "Toss" or "Donate" piles than in your "Keep" pile.

Do you have a lot of items you'd like to donate?
What's your favorite donation center?
How much space could you reclaim by purging items in your home?

One member who signs up for our Spring Cleaning Challenge and replies to at least 7 of the 10 daily posts will win a $25 gift card!

Click here to sign up & join in the other daily activities:

Join Our Spring Cleaning Challenge! WIN a $25 Gift Card & Bonus Prizes, Too!!

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DeeMcA79
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:15 AM
1 mom liked this
I have so much to get rid of. I use the donation boxes around the area and I will have hopefully my back hallway back.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jones_danielle
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Definitely getting this done today! I donate to several places depending on the item, but I tend to stay away from commercial businesses and donate to locally owned places. As of right now I have an entire dresser and half a closet filled with random items that's just sitting there, plus a lot of clothes I never wear. Feeling good about this!

MamaMay007
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:17 AM

Yestday I went though and got rid clothing.  I donated a full tote of my daughters cloths that she has outgrown.  Today is the pantery and kitchen!

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:17 AM
I do this 4 times a year. We have bulk pick up from our town on 4 mondays a year... So the sat and sun before bulk pick up i do this.
Bulk pick up was 3 weeks ago- so at this moment we are " junk free". Lol
mering88
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:18 AM
I have a lot of stuff I don't want to keep but have to because it doesn't belong to me. We have a Goodwill for donations. I took like 4 bags of clothes and 1 bag of toys to the drop off center a week ago.
tabby1979
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Do you have a lot of items you'd like to donate?  not really...got rid of alot recently
What's your favorite donation center? base used store
How much space could you reclaim by purging items in your home? closet space mainly

pinkcsmtlgy
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:20 AM

The next 2 days I will be going through all our clothes and seeing what we have. I like to donate to the salvation army and they have donation centers throughout my town.

Groove
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:20 AM
I try to donate to places that aren't ran by goodwill/salvation army. I work at a donation center so I bring stuff to donate w me to work. I would love to get my closet back. It's FULL of 30 gallon trash bags for donation. Since they're hard to carry on the bus, I'll break them down into smaller bags and bring them in.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
12345abcde54321
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:21 AM

at this point, i have very little to purge. i make trips to goodwill every month or two with the things we no longer need, and my house currently contains mostly just what we need and plan to keep.

i do have to 'purge' my bedroom of excess furniture for the staging process. i plan to begin decluttering my bedroom and removing the excess furniture (and subsequent clothing and other belongings) this afternoon and will post before and after photos for y'all to see  :)

IncognitoOne
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:22 AM

I hope to get started on this today!

I have a ton of things to donate. Things DH and I don't wear anymore, clothes the boys have outgrown, toys the boys don't play with any more and aren't broken, dishes we don't use.

I take all clothings and the toys to a local children's home. Dishes and things like that I donate to my parents church...they keep what they need and hold yard sales witht the rest.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN