Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

still isn't walking...

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:51 PM
  • 39 Replies
My son will be 15months in 4days. He still hasn't taken his first steps... Should I be concerned? He stands up with things, pushes his toys around and has been walking in his walker since he was about 8months.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Elyssa414
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:53 PM
1 mom liked this
My son was a little over 15mos when he started walking. It's totally within the "range of normal" don't sweat it, mama. :)
-PB
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:54 PM

I believe anywhere between 8 and 18 months is considered normal.  I'd say don't worry just yet.  If he is standing he'll probably be walking within a month.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Mine walked at 16 and 19 months.  Normal adults.  No issues.  I walked at 18 months. 

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Yes still in the normal range.   Have you walked with him holding your hand yet?  That could be the next step since he is cruising along with his walking toys.   Can he stand w/o holding on to anything?

Bmat
by Barb on Mar. 6, 2013 at 5:49 PM

I'd probably stop using the walker, just to encourage him to get around on his own, but mine didn't walk until 15 months, and as the others said, it is normal.

kayk91
by Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:08 PM
He'll only walk if he's holding BOTH of my hands, like him in front of me, actually just holds my index fingers. And no he doesn't stand without something. I've seen him pull himself up and let go for maybe 5 secs then he grabs back on or sits down. He acts like he is scared to fall. guess i'll just keep waiting

Quoting frndlyfn:

Yes still in the normal range.   Have you walked with him holding your hand yet?  That could be the next step since he is cruising along with his walking toys.   Can he stand w/o holding on to anything?

kayk91
by Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:10 PM
And thanks moms for sharing :)
x_Starr_x
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:11 PM
normal.... I had 1 all at 9mo and 2 at 13 mo
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:11 PM

When in doubt, you can always talk to his doctor about your concerns.   

Quoting kayk91:

He'll only walk if he's holding BOTH of my hands, like him in front of me, actually just holds my index fingers. And no he doesn't stand without something. I've seen him pull himself up and let go for maybe 5 secs then he grabs back on or sits down. He acts like he is scared to fall. guess i'll just keep waiting

Quoting frndlyfn:

paganmommy4
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:17 PM

The walker makes it difficult for children to support their own weight and work on building up leg muscles and makes for weaker hips. If a child isnt ready to be upright at 8 months, the walker hinders learning to walk. Take him to a peds doctor and he might have you do physical therapy for your child.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)