Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

No idea how to react.. lying, sneaking,

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:55 PM
  • 26 Replies

My son had his 5th birthday Friday and I got him an Ipod touch as a gift. A lot of people gave me crap because he is so young and blah blah blah lol. Sure enough just today even after being strictly told not to, he snuck the ipod to school in his pocket. Normally I check coats, backpacks, pockets before the bus stop because he (and his older brother) are constantly trying to sneak toys to school, but today got lucky because I was so half asleep and in a rush trying to get ready for work and feeding the baby. He comes home after school and I ask him where the ipod was and he had a smirk like he knew he was in trouble. I find out that, in his words, another (older) kid grabbed it from him and kept it. Later he tried to lie and say his classmate did it during school hours. Now he is back to the original story...

I still am so upset, I dont know how to handle the situation.  I feel like he needs a serious punishment in order to learn how serious the sneaking was, but at the same time thinking about my baby getting his ipod snatched breaks my heart. This is bothering me to the gut and I just can't think this one through. Help!

by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
x_Starr_x
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:57 PM
that's what u get for giving a iPod to a 5 yr old pfffttt way to young I don't even want my 10 yr old to have one but someone got stupid.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
boshs1andonly
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:58 PM
1 mom liked this
While I don't think its okay that someone stole his stuff, its a lesson learned. Even if you could get it back I wouldn't give it to him until he earned it. He had no business taking an expensive toy to school and he knew it was wrong. Don't coddle him over it getting stolen, that's a separate issue, but it wouldn't have happened if the toy was at home like it should be.
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:04 PM
Wayyyy too young for an ipod. I would attempt to call the parents.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elzmnsf
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:20 PM
I would try to get the iPod back because that's a lot of money for you to be out, but I sure as sh*t wouldn't give it back to the 5 year old!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sabrtooth1
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:18 AM
4 moms liked this

Honestly, if your son AND his older brother constantly defy you, and attempt to take TOYS to school, that should have told you the 5yo was too young to have this device -- or ANY electronic device.  Well, now YOU have learned a lesson.  And yes, I think you are well overdue teaching your children they should not lie and sneak.  Time for some hard lessons ALL ROUND.

mudwrap
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:42 AM
Get the iPod back and teach consequence for bad behavior by keeping the iPod. He can only use it on times that he earned it.
emmy526
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:00 AM
3 moms liked this

I'd get the ipod back, and then sell it...and then tell him when he stops the lying and sneaking around, maybe he can earn something back in the future...no more tech toys for the kids from now on, and if you can't nip this in the bud now, you're in for a heap of trouble soon.  Are there no consequences for when they DO try sneaking toys to school?  If the punishment was severe enough, they wouldn't try it again.   Grow some backbone, put your foot down with your kids, and stop letting them walk all over you.  

MissMia22
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:08 AM
It may seem harsh but i have to agree...

Quoting emmy526:

I'd get the ipod back, and then sell it...and then tell him when he stops the lying and sneaking around, maybe he can earn something back in the future...no more tech toys for the kids from now on, and if you can't nip this in the bud now, you're in for a heap of trouble soon.  Are there no consequences for when they DO try sneaking toys to school?  If the punishment was severe enough, they wouldn't try it again.   Grow some backbone, put your foot down with your kids, and stop letting them walk all over you.  

jhslove
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:13 AM

It got snatched because he took it to school, while lying and disobeying you, and very likely breaking the rules of the school too, if they have a no-electronics policy. Your son needs to learn a valuable lesson here; he is definitely not a victim in any way.

Personally, I would not (obviously) replace the iPod, but he also needs a separate consequence for lying. What do you usually use for dishonest or disobedient behavior? Since you spent a lot of money to buy him such a nice gift and he essentially wasted it by making this choice, I might consider having him do chores to help earn some of the money to pay for it, but that's just me.

caro100
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Expensive lesson for you and him.  And now you have to listen to all the "I told you so's".  He lied, because he got caught.  Not his first time out at that rodeo for sure.  You need to take off your"friend " shirt and put back on the Mommy shirt and if you manage to get the ipod back, don't give it back to him.  And for heaven's sake, DON'T BUY HIM ANOTHER ONE.  If you normally check backpacks and so on, you know they lie, you're just upset because this was a high dollar item.  Your bad.  He would have been happy with a new video game.  My little son who is almost 20 now, once smuggled an Xbox to school in his back pack, so another kid could use it at a sleepover that he wasn't even invited to.  I had to go over to the kid's house andretrieve it, but the parent's understood completely.  You need to confront son again to get the name, I'm sure he's not wanting retaliation from said kid, but the kid also needs to be held accountable by his parents.  Anyway good luck.  Parenting isn't for cowards.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)