Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Confused and anxious! SAHM vs. working

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:13 PM
  • 420 Replies
11 moms liked this

Hello ladies! I'm new to the group and I basically joined because I'd like to meet other moms. Possibly moms that are going through the same issues. I've been a stay at home mom for 5 months and love it. The only problem is I feel like I need to find a way to make some income because things are very tight financially. When my daughter naps, I look for part time jobs or work from home jobs. I'm not looking into full-time jobs and have done things like Avon and Stella and Dot without much success. Searching for something is making me very anxious. How do you balance everything? What do you do to contribute to your income financially? Any advice would help. Thanks!

by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bleacheddecay
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:26 PM
2 moms liked this

Maybe you could look for work that is weekends only when your husband will be home? I work in a church nursery every Sunday. It pays pretty well but is a small amount only being one day a week.

I also have two flex jobs. One is 12 hours a month as a merchandiser.. The other one as an contract entertainer varies. The key is looking for jobs that pay well but are flexible. They aren't easy to find but if you keep looking you might find one.

My kids are not newborns though.

One thing you might do is see if you can use your previous skills in a more flexible way. I know one lady who answers a nursing hot line at night so she can stay at home with her kids. She is a nurse so that works for her.

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:29 PM
10 moms liked this
What about babysitting other kids during the day
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:30 PM
1 mom liked this
What about babysitting other kids during the day
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:30 PM
2 moms liked this

I suggest you work part time while your husband is home with the baby.  This works for many and no child care needed so your salary is yours to keep. 

Kimsundaram
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:34 PM
Babysit that's what I did when my kids were little and stayed home to,,, there's always someone looking and ur home anyway plus it's kinda fun haha check Craig's list if u dare haha or place an add, ask around etc
SewingMamaLele
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:40 PM
14 moms liked this

Anything you're interested in?   Being a SAHM is a great time to start up a side business!  :)

MiriRose923
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:43 PM
5 moms liked this

Hi, and welcome!  I know exactly where you're at right now.  Have you and your DH/SO taken a look at ways to curb your budget so you don't have to work?  I read Miserly Moms by Jonni McCoy, and it helped me a lot!  Let me know if you'd like more info and I'll try to find you a link. :)

miller01
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Thanks! I had actually gotten that book from the library a few weeks ago and am just getting ready to read it. Glad it was beneficial!

miller01
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:13 AM
2 moms liked this

Thank for all the advice ladies! I have looked into a lot of those things. Sometimes it is just hard to find a job because you end up searching the internet and then it leads you to other things and ideas. It's so hard to figure what will work out best. I'm watching a few kids for a week while a good friend goes on vacation. I guess that will be a good test for me. I'm also crafting and up-cycling items at a local consignment store. Thinking of etsy and blogging too. Don't have much experience, but figure it might be a good time to learn.

Bmat
by Barb on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:20 AM
1 mom liked this

I did some babysitting for a child after school and pulled in a little money that way while hardly disrupting my routine. I also did crafts when the children were young and made a little money- but with the tougher economy now I'm not sure this would be a good idea. Cut back spending as much as you can.  I started out with a few hours a week working outside the house and gradually built up to full time after the children were in school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN