Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Confused and anxious! SAHM vs. working

Posted by   + Show Post

Hello ladies! I'm new to the group and I basically joined because I'd like to meet other moms. Possibly moms that are going through the same issues. I've been a stay at home mom for 5 months and love it. The only problem is I feel like I need to find a way to make some income because things are very tight financially. When my daughter naps, I look for part time jobs or work from home jobs. I'm not looking into full-time jobs and have done things like Avon and Stella and Dot without much success. Searching for something is making me very anxious. How do you balance everything? What do you do to contribute to your income financially? Any advice would help. Thanks!

by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:13 PM
Replies (411-420):
CHIDarla
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 6:30 PM

I am currently seeking outgoing people who enjoy working with teens. 

Exchange student coordinator:  Work mostly from home.  Earn supplemental income working with high school students from around the world. Responsibilities include locating and screening loving volunteer host families, supporting the students while they are here in the U.S. and working closely with the local high school to ensure a good experience for all.  A little experience in sales or marketing is helpful but not required.  Coordinator positions are available in San Diego, Orange and Riverside Counties. The coordinator receives a host family recruiting placement fee and a monthly stipend for each student they are supervising. Some ACs work full-time jobs and enjoy doing this on the side.  There are travel incentives for Academic Coordinators.

Our exchange student programs were initiated by the Department of State (DoS) over 70 years ago.  Here is a short video of Hillary Clinton speaking about the program:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRP3PbaE-cA 

Contact Darla Cherry for additional information: 619-895-1469

Cultural Homestay International - 

http://www.chinet.org/ayp/job-opportunities.html

www.chinet.org [Academic Year]

azeventdiva
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 1:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Here's a few ideas for you;

I personally do custom cakes (although I use a commercial kitchen, I do set my own hours since it is my own business).

My friend makes custom baby things (clothes, bedding, car seat covers, etc)

I have another friend who runs a Pony Party business

Another that makes & sells homemade laundry detergent.

Another that runs a home daycare.

Another that does upholstry work from home.

Open your mind up to your creative side, the possibilities are endless

miller01
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 9:26 AM
1 mom liked this
That sounds like a great opportunity! I live in Northern Colorado.
miller01
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this

I've seen a few people post they make their own laundry detergent. Anyone care to share recipes?

DevereuxTFC
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 9:50 AM

I work for a foster care agency. Have you ever thought about adding to your family ? Not something to consider if it is just for financial reasons but isomething to think about. There are stipends that cover the foster child's costs (and they have insurance, clothing checks, etc). Either way, remember you are giving your child such a valuable gift by being home and available. You are also saving on daycare costs :)                  Best of luck :)

missionaryofGOD
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 1:10 PM
1 mom liked this

innvest as much as you can into THE KINGDOM OF GOD and ask HIM for HIS help...HE will provide.

CEOMomLarsen
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 8:37 PM

I can't speak from experience as a SAHM, but I would like to offer you some help.  I am part of a team that works from home, and we help other families like yours earn an income from home.  For me, it is just an extra monthly income, but I know there are other SAHMs on my team.  I would love to help you, if you are interested.  Feel free to PM me to set up an appointment!  I look forward to hearing from you and helping you and your family!  :)

Jettsmom2010
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 3:29 AM
I would love to learn more about working from home. I am a SAHM and my husband is in the military so money is pretty tight.

Quoting Jayleareid:

I struggle with the same exact issue! I left my full time job before I had my DD 10 months ago. I work part time two nights a week and one day on the weekend while my DH is home with DD. It's not a lot of money, but it helps with groceries and gas for the cars. It keeps us a float for now. 

I've been trying to find legit work-from-home jobs lately and haven't had much success. I wish i knew the secret to finding something. I tried Virtual Bee a few weeks ago and passed the test to become a data entry employee from home, but haven't heard anything yet. And I have also tried a few consultant / party businesses but they both ran out of steam. (not easy to start or continue a business when you're busy with a baby).

I try and do a few miscellenous jobs when I can to keep income coming in... but I agree, it's not easy to find anything legit or that brings in a decent amount of money. Good luck in your search and keep us updated if you find anything!  

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gordon3
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 4:23 PM

I watch another child everyday to make extra money and then I also watch my friends children as a fill in daycare if they need it for extra money. If I didnt have that as a job I would probably look into part time at target or something for the discount! :)

WAHM-Jen
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 1:59 AM
Hi there, I just saw this. I see so many great comments and lots of them i have done myself to make money at home. I'm in your exact same shoes and even did Stella & Dot at one point. The thing to do is to find a hard to find flex job or become an entrepreneur where you hire yourself. it may take lots of tries and acquiring new skills or even new products. Looking is how you will find it. Finding it is how I finally made money that rivals my hubby's and I am doing it from home. Google my name Jennylou Raya if you would like to see all my "projects" Best of wishes and success to you :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)