Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how do you know if your child is not ready for kindergarten/would benefit from waiting an other year?

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 5:37 PM
  • 17 Replies

I am really stressing about this :(

by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 5:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Has the child been to a formal preschool?  What is their knowledge on letters and numbers?   Why are you stressing about it ?  If you feel they are not ready , keep them home for another year.   I found out until recently where i live children did not have to go to school until age 8.  Isnt that crazy?

atlmom2
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 5:43 PM
The kindergarten assessment usually is a yes or no. When in doubt hold them back. Much better off then heading to kindergarten.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thatgirl70
by Carin on Mar. 7, 2013 at 6:41 PM

We knew our son wasn't ready for Kindergarten. I mean he was academically (he's ahead in certain subjects, particularly reading), but he was not in other ways due to his dyspraxia (and possible ASD). We decided to keep him at home and focus on getting him through his therapies (speech and occupational). We knew he would benefit in the long run by doing that. He'll return to school in the fall, presumably in the 1st grade (in our state, you are not required to send your child to school for Kindergarten, so we can start him off in 1st, which we also feel will be more beneficial to him).

In any case, if you don't feel your child is ready, don't send.

MJP76
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:14 PM

They should to testing in Aug before the school year starts.. When you register your child they should also send you a list of things your child should be able to do on their own before entering K

1boy1girlmama
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:23 PM

When my son was getting ready to go in they told me one of the biggest things is can they follow directions and can they sit still?  My son is a late July birthday and after MUCH stressing we held him out and did an extra year of Pre-K. He knew his letters but didn't know the sounds and academically he would have been on the bottom end, and probably would have struggled later.  He is very social and just wanted to play and was not interested in learning all the numbers and letters and stuff that went along with PreK. He would get bored and poke his neighbor ect ect.  Oh and the teacher would say, 'color the pumpkin orange' so he would color the pumpkin purple, then the teacher would ask him what color it was suppose to be and he would say 'orange' and giggle. Or he would put things that were suppose to be in a certain pattern out of order, but when the teacher asked him how it was suppose to be he would tell her, he knew he just didn't care.  She advised us to hold him out, we were really stressed about it because socially he is above and beyond his age, makes friends easy, great social skills, he was just born with those.  

So, he is 7 now, and in first grade. He is doing really well in school. In reading he is right on benchmark but struggles with the standardized testing so he gets some little extra help in the afternoon. He doesn't have a disability it just doesn't come as easy. In math he is on grade level and in one of the higher classes. Socially he still does fabulous and tends to be a leader, his teachers really like him and he follows directions and does what he is suppose to do.

Giving him that extra year to mature was the best thing we could have done. I have no doubt his prek teacher was right, he probably would have struggled come 2nd grade I'm so glad we held him out. Good decision. I was a little worried too because I thought he would be the oldest in his class, but he is not. He actually has a kid who just turned 8 his class and a couple other summer birthdays.  Some parents worry about them being big or for sports purposes and I think those are bad reasons to hold them out. My son happens to be little though and blends right in with all the kids, where in prek he was the littlest one, I would never hold him out for that reason like I said but it is an added bonus that he isn't  the runt of his class. 

Good luck it's a tough decision. Like many will tell you though, you probably won't regret holding him out but you may regret putting him in. That is what really clinched my decision.

gummibr
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:31 PM

We are holding my son back.  His birthdayis the end of July and he is just not ready.  If you are even questioning it, holding him back may be wise.  I've heard people say that you may regret pushing him through but you won't regret holding him back.  If he will be one of the younger ones, think about later on as well.  He will be one of the last kids to get his license.

Lindsay4Ambit
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:50 PM

DS is only 15m, but I remember having 'tests' before Kindergarten that told my mom I was ready. Like a hearing test, and a vision test of course, with some ABC things too. 

CampClan
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Well, as a former preK teacher at a daycare I had the pleasure of teaching pretty much the same group of kids since they were 3. One girl I had in the 4s class was very smart for her age & caught on to things real fast. When we were doing seat work she wouldn't wait for instructions & just do the paper then start goofing off & distracting the other kids. It wasn't that she was a bad kid- she was just bored with what we were doing. When her parents were debating on whether or not to send her to kindergarten (her birthday was late in September & the end of Sept was the caught off to registar). I told them I stringly recommend that they at least test her. I was honest & told them that I felt I had taught her everything I could & there was nothing she could benefit from being in the 5s class with me.

So IMO if your child seems bored (if he is in preschool or even a preschool setting at daycare) I would talk to his teacher. See what she thinks.  

Bleacheddecay
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:48 PM

K-5 was the worst grade for both my kids. If I had to do it all over again I'd never send them since it's not required or I'd send them to a private K-5 or just homeschool them. When in doubt, don't. It's not a race. It's not worth it. Enjoy them at home one more year. Let them enjoy being home, one more year.

momtoBrenna
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:13 PM

We're keeping our ds home, his b-day is July 6th. He has some maturing to do and he also has health concerns that make him going to school dangerous for him at this time. We are hopeful that he will outgrow them over the next year or so. If you don't think that he's ready hold him, he can always skip later if he is too far ahead. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured