Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Flying with a carseat

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:28 PM
  • 43 Replies

Has anyone ever had any issues flying with a carseat? we're traveling with our 4 year old at the end of the month and I never really thought much of it. I ended up having to contact the airline (Delta) for another reason and while I was on the phone decided to ask about using his carseat on the airplane. I've heard of plenty of people doing it before so I just figured you could. The lady on the phone said that I could use his carseat ONLY if there was some kind of specific seat available on the plane at the time? She said I could check his carseat for free. What would cause an issue with me installing his carseat? He's 4 (going to be turning 4 at the end of the month) but he's tiny for his age and I want him to be safe. I wont check his carseat, it's going to get thrown around and possibly damaged. I'll have whoever picks us up at the airport get us one to use while we're there if it comes down to it, but I want him in the seat on the plane if possible. I don't care about "he'll be fine without one, and it's fine to check the carseat." I want to know why there MIGHT be a reason I wont be able to use it in the plane? The customer service lady wasn't really explaining why, and I couldn't really understand what she was saying about some specific kind of seat?

by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:33 PM

They have to have a specific certification to be used on a plane since planes do not use shoulder belts but only lap belts.  Most carseats have the latch system or have to be anchored with a shoulder belt to be secure.

tinkerxbell
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:42 PM

It is a graco nautilus. The manual says you can use it on an airplane if you use the 5 point harness (which we would be using).

Quoting frndlyfn:

They have to have a specific certification to be used on a plane since planes do not use shoulder belts but only lap belts.  Most carseats have the latch system or have to be anchored with a shoulder belt to be secure.

strictmomhere
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:44 PM
If something horrible happens like a plane crash his seat wont save his life!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iHEAVENn
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:45 PM

You can use his seat on the plane AS LONG AS the buckle for the airplane seat fits through properly, and the carseat states it is approved for use on the plane. :) 

I just took my 5 year olds TRUE FIT on an airplane, it fit just fine and we were on the small 4 seats in a row puddle hopper planes lol. 

lilmama8408
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:45 PM
Seat availability. Type of carseat. Airline in general. I flew with our son when he was a little over 1yr and I had to hold him since we didn't pay for his seat (free for 2 and under).I saw a few kids without a carseat and they were all fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:46 PM

You could probably use it then.   The customer service people dont know everything though it may seem they think they do.  You can call the airport you are flying from or check on their website to see the guidelines.   DD is tiny for weight but we never took a carseat on the plane.  The people we went to see had them already or borrowed from someone.

Quoting tinkerxbell:

It is a graco nautilus. The manual says you can use it on an airplane if you use the 5 point harness (which we would be using).

Quoting frndlyfn:

iHEAVENn
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:46 PM

It makes traveling with kids much easier. My son LOVED sitting in his seat, it lifted him up so he could see out the window. He knew he had to stay still as it felt just like a car ride. 

Quoting strictmomhere:

-:Logan Jacob:-

-:December 1st 2007:-

-:7 Pounds 4 Ounces:- 

-:My Everything:- 

504bbymami
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:50 PM
Smh.

Its a carseat. Not an airplane seat. Its not going to make him any safer on the plane. If anything it would be more trouble

I travel A LOT and I have never once seen anyone bring a carseat on the plane. I travel with my kids all the time. My 13 month old has been on a plane about 20 times. Just check the carseat.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tinkerxbell
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:51 PM
1 mom liked this

yeah, but it will help him if we hit some bad turbulence. He's 4, but he's 37 inches, and 31lbs at most. I know he wont fit in the airplane seat by himself and I'd prefer not to find out if he can fly out of it or not.

Quoting strictmomhere:

IndigoOwl
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:52 PM
Weird. I usually fly US air but I've always had flight attendants ENCOURAGE using carseats, especially when my kids were babies. Sometimes they'd try to get me to use it when I was gate checking it and stuff and I usually had to argue with them about why I wasn't. Lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured