Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HOW DO YOU DO IT?

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:33 AM
  • 12 Replies

How do you budget for food, gas, etc. I know what my bills are and I know when they are due. What I can't seem to figure out how to do correctly is get a grocery budget, gas budget etc. There is only 3 of us. This shouldn't be so hard! I have tried meal planning <---HATE IT.

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ChancesMommy07
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Well I meal plan so that was going to be my answer,lol.

Kenre
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:36 AM
Meal planning for the two weeks or four weeks until payday is the only way I do it. I pay all of my bills and use 300 to buy for the month. Coupons help too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aidyns_mommy
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:37 AM

It never works for us lol. Something comes up or I forget to take something out the freezer or we have leftovers so I don't need to cook. Etc. I just can't seem to stick to it.

Quoting ChancesMommy07:

GagaNTattooS
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:37 AM
We just kinda used whatever is left for food and gas. I mean we have a bill of about a grand for food and 500 for gas
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Take your income and deduct bills.  How much do you spend on gas every week?  For example: I spend 50 dollars/week to fill up my car.  Deduct the amount and what you have left over...is your grocery budget.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Megan11587
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:39 AM
I budget then buy. I know I can spend $100 a week on groceries. I make lists accordingly and don't go over.
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Our grocery bill is not really budgeted though.  We eat really healthy so it is hard to know what we spend every week.  For example this week I spent 116.  Next week will probably be 130.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

ChancesMommy07
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:41 AM

I use coupons and store discounts a lot too plus we have veggies that we can from our own garden and we have a freezer full of meat where my hubby hunts. I plan all the meals out on Sunday night and write them on the dry erase menu we have hanging in in the kitchen. I see it every day so it makes it easy to remember. We rarely have leftover because DH usually takes whatever was left in his lunch the next day.

Quoting aidyns_mommy:

It never works for us lol. Something comes up or I forget to take something out the freezer or we have leftovers so I don't need to cook. Etc. I just can't seem to stick to it.

Quoting ChancesMommy07:

aidyns_mommy
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:42 AM

That's just it. If I do that that makes it about 500 a month give or take for both of our cars. We would be in the negatives with his pay. Somehow though we never are...and have food on the table. It makes no sense too me lol. My pay checks are far and few between and we never know how much they will be for so I try and not count them.

Quoting Mom2Just1:

Take your income and deduct bills.  How much do you spend on gas every week?  For example: I spend 50 dollars/week to fill up my car.  Deduct the amount and what you have left over...is your grocery budget.

The_Doodle
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:45 AM

I made a chart in a spreadsheet program with all of my bills. Columns are each bill, what amount they are, and when they are due (in order...first column bill is due the 1st, second one due the 2nd, etc). Rows are each month. I lump bills together into which check needs to pay it. For example, my light bill and cable bill are due before the 20th, so I use my first and second checks for that. My rent check is always taken out of my last check of the month so that I never pay it late. I make sure to always keep my food budget at 100 bucks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)