Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nurses/anestiologists/medications

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:54 AM
  • 0 Replies
Hello everyone! I made a post a few weeks back about my situation and if I knew how to link back to it I would, but since I don't ill give a very short background, hopefully some of you that gave me great advice will remember me from my last post.

I've had on and off stomach pains, cramps, aches, spasms and all out discomfort for a good 9 months now. I've taken full stomach /ab ultrasound plus bloodwork and everything showed normalcy. No answers or ideas from my docs, left in the dark, pain continued intermittently. My GI doc said I couldn't get a colonoscopy or endoscopy while nursing so call him when I'm done. I researched and talked to many mothers who've had them done, I looked up all the meds and found out I CAN absolutely have the procedures while nursing. SOOO I schedule the procedures, I didn't do the prep for the colonoscopy cuz I couldn't handle it, but my doc was fine with only doing the upper because he said he didn't think I needed the rectum examined to begin with but *i* was the one who requested both. So ANYways:

I'm a recovering opiate addict, sober for 22 months. Every damn hospital knows this because its in my medical history as going to hospitals withdrawing and trying to get detoxed and/or treatment. I had a severe UTI before I got pregnant and was screaming bloody murder cuz the pain was off the wall and it took the hospital 5 days to agree to give me pain meds, ALL because I'm recovering from addiction. So I'm sitting in the prep room as we speak and the nurse takes all my info and the anestiologist says "were gonna stay away from the narcotics ok? It's better that way, ill just give you more versed and no opiates whatsoever. You don't need them, it's just our cocktail to help you relax." So I agree of course cuz I wouldn't dare ask nicely to please give me the same meds everyone else gets and not treat me differently just because I'm a recovering addict. I'd sound like a damn fiend to them. So my question to everyone is: if they're not giving me the pain killers am I still gonna be as relaxed as I would've been WITH the meds? Has anyone ever gotten a endoscopy without pain killers and just the sleep med Versed? I was supposed to get fentanyl but that's what they're not giving me....

I'm a little pissed I'm going to be constantly segregated for medical care just because of my past. I'm 22 months sober and have a child and a beautiful life as a mother and one IV dose of an opiate isn't going to ruin my life or give me cravings. It would've just HELPED me with anxiety! Ugh
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies:
There are no replies to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)