Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

What’s your best tip for getting your family up and out the door on time in the morning?

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:03 AM
  • 18 Replies

Sponsored Post: 5 Ways to Start the Morning Off Right

alarm clockThe following is a post from our sponsor, Quaker.

It’s 6:30 a.m. (Or earlier.)

The alarm goes off. (Or your child climbs into your bed and pries your eyelids open.)

No matter what kind of wake-up call you get, this is the moment when moms have to really mobilize to get everyone’s day off to the best start possible. What’s a bleary-eyed mom to do?

The answer (as you probably guessed) is to plan, prepare, and get a procedure in place to make the morning routine as easy as possible for everyone involved. Try these mom-approved tips to make that happen!

1. Start the night before. Yes, you’ve probably heard this one before. But that’s because it’s so helpful! Whatever you can possibly do ahead of time, DO AHEAD OF TIME. Pick out clothes, pack book bags, prep lunches, and gather essentials for the a.m. rush.

2. Post the routine on the wall. A picture chart showing each step in the process is especially helpful for younger kids. Cover every step -- from going to the bathroom and brushing teeth to getting dressed and eating breakfast to heading out the door and on the school bus. For little ones who need more motivation, reward each successful step with a sticker.

3. Avoid a.m. squabbles with an easy custom breakfast! Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, as our own mothers have reminded us, but that doesn’t mean you need to be a short-order cook. Quaker Perfect Portions instant oatmeal makes it simple for moms to serve up a hearty, nutritious breakfast by allowing you to make as much or as little as you want to easily satisfy every appetite in the house -- including yours. And since it’s unsweetened, everyone can sweeten to their liking.

4. Take a look at the calendar. Give the family a quick recap of who is going where, and at what time, throughout the day. Are there appointments or after-school activities? Will you be shuttling kids to and fro later on? Make sure everyone knows what’s on the agenda.

5. Do a final double-check. A checklist on the wall can help with this part, too -- you just need a quick recap before everyone heads out (yourself included!) to make sure all assignments, bags, gear, and keys have been grabbed. And then you’re all off for a successful day!

What’s your best tip for getting your family up and out the door on time in the morning?

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jillbailey26
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:03 AM
2 moms liked this

I tell them that if they're not ready by the time it's time to go, they go how they are.  It's great motivation  :)

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

MrsNewman
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Its not hard for us, my kids are all morning people ... showers really help to wake them up and then eating a good breakfast, after that they are pretty easy to get out the door.

meaganmac
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:59 PM
Figure out how much time you need to get ready, then get up half an hour earlier.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MinglingMom
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:03 PM

I only have a 3 month old right now but since having her, I get up a half hour earlier than I used to. If DH isn't around, then I get up 45 minutes earlier.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

iamcafemom83
by Mariah on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:36 PM
We have a routine. If they finish their stuff before its time to go, we have a few minutes to play around.
lovetobemomof5
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:52 PM

i get as many baths done the night before as I can. The older children take their showers in the morning. I am up at 430am and I get breakfast going and I have my shower done already. Kids are up at 545am. We pick clothes out the night before ( I hate fighting about clothes!!!) and all of the kids know that when you get up its time to move!!! :)   They have to have their beds made and they have to be dressed by the time they come down stairs for breakfast. All of the kids know the routine and since we have 5 kids they have to work together. It makes everything alot smoother and we don't run late!!

emarin77
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Set the alarm earlier and be consistent.  Also make a list of what to do if you forget.  Take baths the night before.

Sweet_Carol_126
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:06 PM

I was so frustrated with my daughter dawdling when she was younger that I decided I was going to stop nagging at her.  I got her an alarm clock.  I helped her set it and explained that I wasn't going to be in a hurry to take her to school if she missed the bus.  She was to get up and fix the bed or pull up the covers.  Come have breakfast and go back and get dressed afterwards.  Baths were at night and showers were mornings for the adults.

Homework was done night before and they didn't go out to play until it was done.  School clothes were put out the night before.  We generally had cereal for breakfast so she could get the kind she liked.  She was late and missed the bus once (I was calling her once and did not call her again).  I had to fight myself but forced me not to hurry to take her to school.  I made sure she was late.  I had her write her own note and sort of told her to say she didn't get up on time and she missed the bus and Mom wouldn't write the note.  So she took that. I then dropped her off on my way to the store.  She wasn't late for the bus again.

brittany208
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:27 PM

I do set everything out the night before--bags by the front door, clothes for me on a hanger in the bathroom. I also get my son up with just enough time for him to get ready--because if he has plenty of time, he'll start playing and not get ready. I like to keep things moving. I also get myself ready before I wake him up, so once he's up, its get ready time, not wander off and play while mom is fixing her hair time.

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:54 PM

This is posted by the exit door. (I swear our walls are nice the texture shadowed weird lol)

Anyway she must refer to it every morning once she thinks she's ready. Yes, she has gotten into the car in the garage without shoes. :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN