• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sibling Rivalry?

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:35 PM
  • 8 Replies

I don't think my son likes the twins to much he's always beatin on em unless i keep him away from them especially when they're eating n he wants to eat 2 but can't (they're all breastfeeding) he comes and smacks them in the top of the head and runs i tell him to be careful with them but he won't listen n he calls them stupid and stuff idk what to do any1 else ever have this problem?

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
LuLuRex
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 5:02 PM

I haven't had that issue but here's a bump for other moms to see :)

AA2.0
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 5:03 PM

How old is he? Sounds like jealousy.

Allykinz
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:44 PM

20months

Quoting AA2.0:

oahoah
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Try to get him to be your helper & be involved more with the babies. I had my 2nd when my first was just over 2 and it was rough. I did the exact opposite of what you should do, I was stressed and yelled at him a lot and told him to be quiet, go to his room, put on movies for him, etc; I have a lot of regret over it and it has taken a lot of time for him to like his little brother (they are now 8 and 5 and I have a 3 y/o too).  So.... plan ahead, if you know when you are going to feed the babies, try to get a snack ready for big brother; if you are able to have him nearby, have some quiet toys or books or even audiobooks for that specific time.  Also reinforce nice touches and maybe read some books on his level about babies and even baby animals. He's still pretty young but even if he isn't talking he can probably still understand whatever you tell him. Reinforce "be nice" and model that behavior as well.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:56 AM

Time out or put into his bed when he does not listen to mommy.  He needs discipline which i know can be hard when you are nursing to enforce. it   Sibling rivalry is normal but does not have to be tolerated in the way of violence.

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:15 AM

is he still getting his quality time with JUST you? does he ever help you? with burping? or changing diapers..or holding the cloth or something? maybe get him more involved..and make sure that when the twins are sleeping, that you have special quality time with him.

AA2.0
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 4:43 AM
I think definitely dealing with some jealousy. Give him helpful little jobs and make sure to spend as much one on one time with him as you can. It's rough when they're that young and can't really understand.

Quoting Allykinz:

20months

Quoting AA2.0:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
brittany208
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Do NOT keep them seperate. That's like replacing him with them (in his eyes). He used to have you all to himself, and now he cant have you when he wants and its all the twins' fault.

Instead, teach him how to help take care of them (as much as he is capable of). Teach him how to treat them nicely, and make a big fuss over him when he is gentle and loving. Establish warm feelings in him for his siblings. Instead of just pushing him away so you can be with the twins.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)