Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

HELLLLLLLLLLPP!!! shedding dog is making me NUTS!!

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:54 PM
  • 7 Replies

ok, so i know some of you have fur babies too! I am looking for any and all tips to help with his shedding. There is hair all over everything and i find myself vacuuming it and using the lint brush on it for the most of my day. I have seen the expensive (well, like $25...but that's a lot on dog hair lol) dog brushes but i just wanted to see if anyone had used one or had any otpuppyher tips. All tips are appreciated! thanks ladies!!

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
meaganmac
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:02 PM
I have 4 dogs and a cat so hair is a big problem in our house. I vacuum every day. I think that's pretty much all you can do.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
1squishysmom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:06 PM

We have 1 dog and 4 kitties. I have to vacuum daily. I love my babies, so I can't complain. Our shepherd mix sheds excessively all year around, it's normal for her breed.

Our groomer told us to try fish oil but it did nothing for the shedding, but it did help (alot) with the arthritis in her hips.

Mxblond
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:07 PM

I had a long haired shelty for 17 years, I got him professionally groomed once a month and instructed the groomer to "thin out" his coat.  I still had to vacuum (once a week) but that did the trick to manage it.

sabrtooth1
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:22 PM

I have had multiple dogs my entire life, and currently have 3 Bostons and a pug.  The pug sheds as much as ALL the Bostons put together!!  Brush, brush, brush--a couple times a week.  Bathe, bathe, bathe--every other week.  Easier to do in the summer.  I have a shedding blade for the Bostons, and a FURminator for the pug.  The Bostons have NO undercoat, and a very short topcoat, so the FURminator is too heavy and sharp for them, but it is a Godsend for the pug.  The pug is going to the groomer tomorrow so THEY can FURminate him.  He's blowing his undercoat because it's spring, and I've removed enough hair to build another dog, but it keeps coming...

I got a Roomba because all I did was vaccum.  Now, I run it in one or two rooms per day, on a continuous circuit of the house, and it keeps the hair WAAAY down.

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:43 AM

yaaa i have 3 dogs...one of them is a golden retriever and is shedding like craaaazy!! i brushed him today and literally got a garbage bag full of fur.  but all i do is sweep and vaccuum!  :s

mama-sita
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:52 AM

I worked as a certified groomer for a while.  Honestly?  All you can do is stay on top of it.  Brush your dog daily with a deshed comb.  Something that is designed to pull the undercoat comfortably.  During spring and fall, up the brushing to twice a day.  It's great bonding time with your dog/cat/furbaby.  Include the kids and make it a game.  I had a german mix and a husky mix for a while.  I would brush them constantly, feed them a good quality feed and vacuum probably two or three times a week.  Hope this helps!

mommy-ashley-3
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:00 PM

This is my lil shedder...hopefully after he sheds his winter coat itll slow down.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)