Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this pressing for too much information?

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:35 PM
  • 8 Replies

Is it okay for the school's special education teacher to ask the parent where the child is going to see a therapist?

Last year we had a HIPAA violation with the school and their hired therapist who came from an outside company. I was pretty pissed about that incident and it still makes me angry when I think about how they violated my son's medical privacy.

of course, my son ceased going to therapy through the school. This year, they have a different lady from a different company. They pressured me to getting my son enrolled through the school because this girl was new. But I can trust the school as far as I can throw them, so I kindly refused.

I found an outside source for therapy and I did inform his special education teacher that he was in therapy again. She asked me where he was going. I didn't tell her. I told her what town it was in and now wish I never would have told her even that.

My son has ADHD, He's a happy kid. Fun and likeable, but he gets frustrated with handling homework and he can't read very well. This is why we have him in therapy.

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
lovetobemomof5
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think you need to tell them where he is going, especially if you have had problems with privacy before with this school. Is there a reason that the teacher is asking? Is she now asking more often or just the one time? If you don't feel comfortable telling them, I wouldn't tell them! Just my 2 cents worth! :)

xxshelbyxxx
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:49 PM
None of their god damn business !
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
anotherandree
by Inga on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:55 PM

If she is asking more than once, I would find out why she needs the information.  However, she might just be making polite conversation.  To me, it would be a natural reaction to ask, "Oh that's wonderful (so-and-so) is in therapy!  Where is he going?"  And I would mean no harm or malice in it and an answer of "a place in (such town) would suffice and continue the conversation if that is all it was. However, given your history, I can see why you would be a bit cautious.

Quoting lovetobemomof5:

I don't think you need to tell them where he is going, especially if you have had problems with privacy before with this school. Is there a reason that the teacher is asking? Is she now asking more often or just the one time? If you don't feel comfortable telling them, I wouldn't tell them! Just my 2 cents worth! :)

nirvanachick83
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:58 PM

I would politely inform her that is not necessary to know where your son is going to therapy to teach him.  If the teacher keeps pressing, take it higher until the situation resolves.

AA2.0
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:03 PM
I don't think it's any of their business, but if she keeps asking I would find out why she wants/needs to know.
Faceless_Jane
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:05 PM
1 mom liked this

As a healthcare worker, and as you are well aware they have no reason to require that information. In the future, if pressed, you can just say, "I don't feel comfortable sharing that information." and then change the subject. This is a great "go to" sentence when someone is trying to illicit information and you wish to politely decline. If they ask why, try, "I believe I've already answered that question and don't wish to disquss it further. I appreciate your understanding." 

HIPAA is very clear on this, and you should be too. Any information you don't want to share is off limits. Stay firm and don't let anyone bully you into telling them anything you don't want to say. 

IAMmomtotrips
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:08 PM
Or you might try having them work together....my girls therapists outside of the school district, email each other and communicate on a weekly basis. The therapist gets direct feedback on the girls behaviors from the teacher and then modifies their accommodations...it works better when everyone works together...maybe she is wanting to work together to better serve your child in the classroom.
Celtic_Dragon
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:33 PM

I probably wouldn't have an issue with this if what happened last year wouldn't have happened. Unfortunately, I use to work for the school and they are rather loose lipped there on things like this.

Quoting IAMmomtotrips:

Or you might try having them work together....my girls therapists outside of the school district, email each other and communicate on a weekly basis. The therapist gets direct feedback on the girls behaviors from the teacher and then modifies their accommodations...it works better when everyone works together...maybe she is wanting to work together to better serve your child in the classroom.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)