Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Following my hearts desire......

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:14 PM
  • 10 Replies

I was recently in New York to buy a car and became so enamored of the city I wanted to relocate there later this year. However on my way back to Ga with the car I got in an accident that totaled the car and left me with pain all down my left side. Now my question is how am I going to be able to move now? I still have this pain everywhere I have no car to move me and my kids with and my search for a job in New York is not going well at all. What can I do to get back on track or should I just give up on the idea of moving to New York altogether?

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JeremysMom
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:14 PM
3 moms liked this

If you are wanting to move to New York City, you really wouldn't need a car for once you are in the city. There is public transportation galore there and owning a car there is more of a hassle than than an assistance. As far as getting your belongings there and moving, you could rent a U-Haul to do that. What is your current work situation? Are you able to save money for the move? Once you have a bit saved up enough for the move, first month's rent/deposit, turning on electricity, etc., then I would start looking for a job in New York. Until you have that money ready, it wouldn't be a wise idea to move. 

As far as the pain, what has your doctor suggested? Are you able to go to a physical therapist? What about other activities? I was in a serious car wreck a few years ago as well and my left side was in a lot of pain as well. If I sat down, it took a few minutes for me to get up and once I did, it took another 5-10 minutes just to be able to straighten up enough to walk. I started hiking and within a few months, the pain was gone!

Anyways, I wouldn't give up on your dream of moving to New York but I would be smart about it. Would this be a good move for your children? Would it be best to move to New York during the summer rather than at the end of the year during the middle of their school year? I think a move during the summer of 2014 might be more realistic. Good Luck! BTW, I live in Georgia as well. What area do you live in?

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:26 PM

BUMP!

mamiperuana2013
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:29 PM
1 mom liked this
I live in Ny and don't drive. You don't need a car unless you move to the suburbs. It's a pretty exciting city, lots of things to do. A little expensive but worth it...p
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
rayroe2
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Depends before greatest comes hardship
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
la_mona
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 5:00 AM

live in a small town called moultrie. I actually thought the same as you with the school year being almost at an end it would be better to move later. I am trying to find a position in New York and found that most of the jobs I have access to are either an employment agency or a scam so i'm not sure where to go from there.

The pain I have it not that bad its just random. Last night I couldnt talk because my jaw was killing me. Today its my wrists no telling what it will be tomorrow. I cant get a doctor to see me here because I dont have 250 dollars im at my wits end if the pain was more consistant I would be better than a random pain that gives no warning.

la_mona
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 5:06 AM

Quoting mamiperuana2013:

I live in Ny and don't drive. You don't need a car unless you move to the suburbs. It's a pretty exciting city, lots of things to do. A little expensive but worth it...p

Thats what I thought when I saw it. You are correct I will need to save up a considerable amount of money.

Bmat
by Barb on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Get yourself healthy again. I have found that physical therapy does a lot to help with pain, the sooner the better.

Bmat
by Barb on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:17 AM
1 mom liked this

I've been enchanted with NYC when I've visited there- so much going on. I even mentioned to my husband that it would be cool to live there, but he likes the rural life.

Quoting mamiperuana2013:

brittany208
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:24 AM
1 mom liked this

No reason to give up on your dream. Just because you can't move their TODAY, doesn't mean you cant move there in the next couple of years. Make a list of all the things you need to do/get in order so that you can move, then start checking them off. Such as: save up money, find job there, find appt there, find a way to get there....

la_mona
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:29 PM

I am truly thankful for all the responses I have gotten. And like all of you said I need to plan ahead which is something I am working on since being patient is not my strongest area.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)