Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

get my baby out of bottle habit before bed

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:01 PM
  • 8 Replies
Well first off i am new to this group,im sandy and have to wondeful boys a 9yr old and a 6 month old.my baby is on solids and has 2oz of juice in the morning.hes a big guy for his age(he was a nine pound baby at birth so he eats alot.lol)he takes two naps a day and has a bottle to help him fall asleep same with bedtime.i was wondering what is the best way to get hom off of relying on a bottle before naps or bedtime.ibwould like to break this habit before he gets older and ill never get hom out of it.do u guys think i should start with nap time bottles first.im also concerned about this because when my oldest son was a baby he was the same with with bottles and sippycups and his dentist was upset saying how bad it is for his teeth and that is y some of his teeth got bad.i dont want that to happen to my youngest boy
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Momof697
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:16 PM

I am Deb and I am mother of 6.  I used to put 2 children to bed with a bottle and when it was time to break her of the habit I simply put water in her bottle instead of formula.  One of my babies that did this was over 10 pounds so she was bigger. the other was born less than 7 pounds. It really works. If they want a drink they can get it if they want comfort they can get it but since water is not what they want they will eventually quit wanting it.  You know you have accomplished your mission when baby wakes up and bottle is still full.  I would also take the rest of the water and give it to them when they first woke up. It gets them liking water as a drink.    Hope this helps

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:07 PM

I personally would not stop it this young but each person is different.  I am presuming his nutrition is from formula 99% of time since that is what is recommended.   DD was still nursing through the night at this age since we fed on demand.

Lindsay4Ambit
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:58 PM

I'm having the same issue with my 15m old! We cut his bottles from 10oz to 5oz and are trying to slowly wean him off. He'll drink it down and fuss a bit, but eventually get himself to sleep. I wouldn't try so soon, though.

sandysl
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:45 AM
Thank you everyone.ill probably wait a lil while longer.he does sleep through the night sometimes he gets a lil fussy at night but he knows now i dont do bottle in middle of night so he goes straight to bed after bout five mins of fussing.so maybe it wont be hard when i stop before bed.will the formula relly start decaying his teeth though thats my only main concern really.
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:54 AM
I am no help. I nurse my kids to sleep for the first year.
brittany208
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Does he have a paci you could sub out for the bottle? That's an easy fix--just feed him before bed, then give him the paci in bed.

but really i wouldnt worry about it too much. just don't push juice in his bottle, and don't let him keep it in his mouth all night. I used to seriously sneak in my DS's room every night after he went to sleep to take his paci away. So he could have it to fall asleep, but he wouldnt need it to stay asleep. You could do the same with the bottle.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:04 AM
At 13 months bottles went bye bye. I would never not give a bottle st night. Never give a bottle in the crib though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 4:27 PM

I would give him formula bottle while he's still awake and then put him to bed with a water bottle,he should be so full and sleepy he won't fuss for too long.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)