Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

let him cry, or pick him up??

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:26 PM
  • 12 Replies

what do you do when your 15mo old is overly tired and doesn't want to go to bed? 

I laid my son down and he just cried until i picked him up, i held him until i thought he was asleep, laid him back down and he cried again. i let him cry for less than 5mins and went back in, held him again for maybe 10mins., and laid him back down, he only cried for like a minute then stopped. 

for future reference, should I let him cry? if so for how long until I step in?

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sav820
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:54 PM

under 5 ....you need to get him on a good schedule...and he will start going down easy  ..will take a few days up to 2 weeks...once done he will be fine,  YOU must be consistant on time, same time everyday...eventually his bio clock will set...and by that time he will be ready to sleep

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:55 PM

What you can do is have him lay down and rub his back making shushing sounds.   That way he is in his bed yet you are not holding him.  He can cry during this time as long as you keep laying him down, not picking him up.

Greenstone920
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:56 PM
Let him cry.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kayk91
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:00 PM

well he's on a semi conistant schedule. he goes to bed between 730-830 (at the latest). it's usually around 730 with a few nights being closer to 8. but at home he goes to sleep perfect. there has been only one other time that he cried like this, that was because he was out all day and didn't have a nap so he was so tired that he couldn't sleep, if that makes sense. we are not at home tonight, so i think he may have needed some extra comfort. He will sometimes wake up in the middle of the night, all i do is tell him it's okay, and he usually lays back down, some night he wants to be picked up, but those nights are just a pick up, kiss, tell him he's okay and lay back down and he's fine. 

Quoting sav820:

under 5 ....you need to get him on a good schedule...and he will start going down easy  ..will take a few days up to 2 weeks...once done he will be fine,  YOU must be consistant on time, same time everyday...eventually his bio clock will set...and by that time he will be ready to sleep

kayk91
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:02 PM

I tried that, he didn't want to lay down though :( he kept standing up. we aren't home tonight so maybe that's why... thanks for your advice, i'll keep that in mind :)

Quoting frndlyfn:

What you can do is have him lay down and rub his back making shushing sounds.   That way he is in his bed yet you are not holding him.  He can cry during this time as long as you keep laying him down, not picking him up.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:05 PM

It can take a long while for the child to understand you mean business.  I once had to do this method for nearly 2 hours with one child i watched LOL.  It is what the parents wanted to be done if they woke up crying.   My dd has always been a night owl so we followed her rhythm.  She is 7 now and thankfully since school has started she isnt able to stay awake past a certain time.

I hated not being in own home at night for getting dd settled down to sleep.

Quoting kayk91:

I tried that, he didn't want to lay down though :( he kept standing up. we aren't home tonight so maybe that's why... thanks for your advice, i'll keep that in mind :)

Quoting frndlyfn:

true-love-21
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:05 PM
I let my son cry to sleep and he was one and a half at the time, I just got sick of the nonsense and all the trouble of putting him to sleep. I let him cry for about 10 mins, gave him a Teddy bear for comfoort and water in his.sippie cup and he fell asleep on his own, has been ever since :-)
H79fordgirl
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:01 PM
Babies are usually thrown off schedule in a new location. If u can calm him with out picking him up, fine. If not, pick him up.
brittany208
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:40 PM

in the future... put him to bed before he's over tired. When he first starts showing signs of tiredness. And I like ho someone said just rub his back without picking him up. When my DS wakes up in the middle of the night, I just give him a kiss, tuck him back in, and say "see you in the morning." Its usually enough for him.

Mama_Gleich
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 3:04 AM

Probably going to get myself bashed...

pick him up. Or lay down with him. 

He just wants the comfort of his mama. He loves you. :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured