Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice on age-appropriate chores *update in bold*

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:41 PM
  • 13 Replies

Hi, so I'm sorta-kinda new to this site.  I was on it about 3 years ago and left due to personal reasons.  I have a 10-yr-old and 7-yr-old, both boys.  I'm also about 7 months pregnant and as my pregnancy progresses, I'm finding I'm having a difficult time keeping up with the daily maintenance of the household chores.  I'm wondering what kind of chores others have their children do at these ages.  I live with my boyfriend and he does the best he can to help but when he's in the middle of an arthritis flair up, it is rather hard to move around.  His trouble areas are his feet and knees so yeah, can't really move around very well.  Please don't judge me.  I'm here looking for advice on this situation.  Thank you.

**UPDATE**

After a few posts on here and talking to my boyfriend, we've come to this rough draft: 

Alec's Chore List (Alec is my 10-yr-old)

Upstairs Bathroom:

(Mondays)

-clear/wipe/organize: counter tub mirror

-scrub toilet

-sweep and mop

(Fridays)

-clear/wipe/organize: counter tub

-sweep

Vacuuming their bedroom and hallway

Laundry start to finish

Cleaning Dog Doo on Wednesdays

Feed Angel (dog) in the mornings

Set table Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays

Clean up after dinner Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays

Zac's Chore List (Zac is my 7-yr-old)

Downstairs Bathroom

(Mondays)

-clear/wipe/organize: counter mirror

-scrub toilet

-sweep and mop

(Fridays)

clear/wipe/organize: counter

-sweep

Sweep kitchen/dining area

Laundry start to finish

Cleaning Dog Doo on Thursdays

Feed Angel in the evenings

Set table Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays

Clean up after dinner Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays

Of course, they'll be required to pick up after themselves and follow the basic house rules.  There will be a point system to go along with this for time on the x-box or cash since they're only allowed so much time per day.  They will have opportunities to earn more time/money doing a little bit more.  I'm going to start showing them exactly what I expect tomorrow after I get home from work.  Does this sound reasonable? 

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
megandwade
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:47 PM

I think your boys could be doing alot of chores around the house! They can be taking out the garbage, sweeping floors, helping with laundry, taking care of any pets, help cleaning the bathroom, and keeping their bedroom(s) clean!

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:58 PM

They can use the broom/dust pan, vacuum, sort laundry, get laundry out if it is too hard for the adults to get it out, they can wash dishes, set table.  Pretty much anything an adult can do with the exception of cleaning with harsh chemicals.  My dd is 7 and she helps with picking things off the floor, laundry (all facets), putting dishes in sink, etc.

mama-sita
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:59 PM

We have a 9-yr-old pitbull (again, don't judge, she's the sweetest dog in the world.  We adopted her from the local kill shelter after seeing her on Petfinder just before she was due to be put down and she's a wonderful addition to the family) and a 6-yr-old cat.  The boys take the dog out, feed her and help clean up her poo and the oldest will scoop the litter trey twice a week when he wants to earn extra points/time on the X-Box.  My oldest also takes out the garbage twice a week and they're charged with keeping their room clean at all times, plus putting away their clean clothes.  However, they both tear apart the rest of the house faster than I can keep it clean.  I have shared custody with my ex husband so my kids are with me half the time (week on/week off) and my house is trashed the weeks they're here.  I work as a server at a local restaurant 3 to 4 days a week, mostly weekends, and I swear, I come home and any work I've done is just destroyed.  Again, my boyfriend helps.  We have it set up that one day a week, we both deep clean the house.  I do it Tuesdays and he'll work on it Fridays.  Also, he's the one that does the dishes and I'm the one that does the laundry.  Recently though, his right foot has been the size of his head and he's had to use crutches to get around, therefore has been unable to do anything.  I also have a cold from heck and it's knocked me on my butt.  I actually took the day off yesterday from work (something that's unheard of) and slept most of the day.  Needless to say, my house is DISGUSTING!!!  Please help!!!

mama-sita
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:33 PM

BUMP!

Zazayam
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:35 PM

They can honestly do most chores at those ages. Just remember to start slow if they've never really had any chores before, don't want to overwhelm the guys :)

Sweeping, vacuuming, wiping off tables/counters/inside windows, picking up after themselves, making beds, emptying trash, you name it.

SexyTeacher
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Can you afford to have somebody come in to help keeps things straight? I just hired a college student come 3 afternoons a week for however long it takes to clean the house. It is great for us because the house is clean when we get home and she still has plenty of time to study.

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:52 PM
Depends on how well you want them done!

But agree with the rest, they can DO most anything, but some need more motivation/ incentive than others.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mama-sita
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:01 AM

I can't afford to have someone come in and clean for me.  I'm a server at a local restaurant and only work 3 or 4 days a week and my boyfriend is a full-time student.  We have enough to make ends meet, pay for groceries and a few extras here and there, but a housekeeper is too much.  My boyfriend and I agree that my boys are part of the household, make their share of the mess and should be responsible for cleaning up some of it.

Quoting SexyTeacher:

Can you afford to have somebody come in to help keeps things straight? I just hired a college student come 3 afternoons a week for however long it takes to clean the house. It is great for us because the house is clean when we get home and she still has plenty of time to study.

mama-sita
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:02 AM

We're planning on offering a point system that can be used for time on the x-box and/or cash.

Quoting AM-BRAT:

Depends on how well you want them done!

But agree with the rest, they can DO most anything, but some need more motivation/ incentive than others.

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:24 AM

i absolutely think they are old enuff to be helping out.  they can probably do anything and everything,  it may not be done perfect..but..its better than nothing :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)