Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Child who gets Croup A lot!!!!

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:03 PM
  • 4 Replies

My son gets croup a lot, everytime he gets a cold he has that croupy cough. He has been to the ER at least 3 times and has had croup about a dozen times with having to have steroids. He is 2 soon to be 3. My question is this, is it considered croup everytime he has that croupy bark type cough or only when accompanied by breathing difficulties? Thanks!!!

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
mommy2boys03
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:06 AM

I used to ge coup alot as an infant.  Have the doctor test of allergies.  I got treated for the allergies and the croup got better.

mommyof11050307
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:07 AM
Check for allergies and asthma.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:37 AM
Sounds like possibly asthma. Wonder if when he first gets a cold if you had a nebulizer with albuteral would he not get so bad. Speaking from experience with my youngest. She does have some allergies also.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lalundin
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:08 AM
What you just described is exactly what would happen to my son, now 4 1/2. It started right around 14 months. Every time he got a little bit sick he would wake up in the middle of the night with stridor and croupy cough and we were off to the ER. ER docs would say not in chest, only swelling in larynx. However, one night i pulled out the nebulizer we had from an rsv bout, gave him a treatment and by the time we got to ER he was doing pretty good. Again, those docs told me the asthma meds should not help since we were talking about two different issues. Following up with my pediatrician though, she gets it. She says, you just need to keep an inhaler on hand. Granted, it is not a perfect treatment but it gets us through the night and kept us out of the ER. And, he has grown out of the croupy crud for the most part.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)