Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

nursing home care

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:44 AM
  • 16 Replies

My grandma is in a nursing home and has been for a while; there have been hygiene issues and my mom brings them up to the staff and they are resolved, temporarily, but it's like they only do it when they're forced to (just generaly cleanliness, her hands & nails get dirty and they never clip her nails).  Today we made a surprise visit (the nursing home is about 40 minutes from where we live, Grandma wanted to go back to live where she grew up) and it was nearing 10 a.m.; she has a colostomy bag and it was very full & naturally smelled bad and there were flies flying around her; the clothes she had on were dirty. Well we got a C.N.A. into her room to change her right away and then my mom started going through the dresser drawers because they had a problem with mice last year, well apparently the mice were back because there were a lot of droppings. Someone came in to clean right away and then the maintenance guy came in and said they'd get someone to figure out the problem. Is this just standard care for a nursing home? It is supposedly one of the best around and my mom doesn't know if she should do anything and I don't really feel like I should butt in because it's not like I can visit that often. We tend to all be non-confrontational so sometimes let things slide but what would you do in this situation (if anything)?

by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:52 AM

No that is not standard.  I would try to find a new place for her that she could thrive in and not be another check.  I would also call dept of health about your findings in the general care of the residents.  Think of it as if it were your child in a daycare run in such a way.  That the child would be sittting in their filled up diaper all day with no one paying attention to them.

PerfectAccident
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:07 AM

No, this is not normal. I work in a nursing home. The colostomy bag should be emptied at the end of every shift (so that's at least three times a day), or more if it is getting full or there is a bad stench. As far as hygeine goes, residents generally only get 2 showers a week, but during that time finger nail care should be done. As well as pericare (cleaning the perenial area with rags that have soap and water) upon wakening and when put to bed for the night. What about other things? Is her room clean, does she get to go out of her room on a regular basis, does she have water  within reach at all times? This is not the way a nursing home should be. There are some girls I work with that this post reminds me of (they are negligent, lazy, etc). You can go ahead and voice your requests to the staff as much as possible. We love to make the families happy, as well as the residents. Sometimes residents are too scared to ask for anything (because they think they are bothering us or something), but it's OUR JOB to take care of them. You can also go right ahead and call state to report anything, or if you don't want to go that far you can talk to the Director of Nursing.

Like PP said, think of it as your child in daycare. How would you want them treated?

JoeMax
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:13 AM
This is not standard care. Take it from me, I was both a CNA and then a nurse in a nursing home for several years. There were days when we had unexpected emergencies and someone may have missed a bath because of it, but it was never a big deal because the persons over all hygiene was taken care of on a regular basis. And emergency or not, no one would ever stay in soiled clothing. I know from experience, that overly full colostomy bags sometimes pop loose, and if someone doesnt come right away to fix it your grandmother could be at risk for fecal contamination. It doesnt sound like a great facility to me, it sounds like they need a stern visit from the state. The mouse problem, major health violation. I would contact your state board of nursing right away and move your grandmother to a different facility. There are so many health problems that can arise from pests being near people who may already have low immune responses. Please, for the sake of everyone in the facility call the nursing board, even an anonymous complaint would be enough for them to make a surprise visit yo the facility.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Barb on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:07 AM

My aunt is in a nursing home and I have never seen what you described.  Your grandma needs to go elsewhere. And this place should be reported.

brittany208
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Nursing homes are pretty horrible places on average. I would definitely get her out of there and find one of the good/better ones. Or could she live in her own place with help that comes by? like housekeepers/hospice?

Tannaris
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:08 AM
2 moms liked this
That is NOT standard!

I would pull my mom from that home and I would be filing a complaint with the state.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Barb on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:09 AM

We feel comfortable with my aunt's nursing home because she seems well-cared for. Her friend does have contacts in the home, so this may possibly help.

Bleacheddecay
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this

This!

Quoting Tannaris:

That is NOT standard!

I would pull my mom from that home and I would be filing a complaint with the state.

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:50 AM
1 mom liked this

You have to report it and try to get her in a better place. That's awful! Seriously.

emmy526
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:43 PM

that is considered neglect and abusive and you need to call state authorities on the place so a proper 'surprise' inspection can be done...when a place knows the state is coming, they 'clean up' so it's not so dirty looking and patients are cleaner looking as well.  Mouse droppping in the clothes??!! THAT is GROSS!!! not to mention flies carry disease and germs which could easily make those old people sick.  CALL and file and email your joint commission on nursing homes and report this disgusting place.  Your grandma deserves better than that. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN